• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

P72 and M78 Hornet questions

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

richarde270

Hello
I purchased a P72 22lr a while back and from all the info I can find there was only a few thousand produced
The serial # on my gun does not match with any of the Data I can find
it is 6 digits no# 705XXX....

I just purchased an un-fired mint M78 in 22 Hornet with the serial # 708XXX

this guns are exactly the same ......?
What is (if any) the difference between the two models
here are some pics
and thanks for any help

Richard
first 4 pics are the M78 Hornet
followed by the last 4 pics of The P72 22Lr
DSC00020.jpg DSC00019.jpg DSC00018.jpg DSC00017.jpg DSC00015.jpg DSC00014.jpg DSC00013.jpg DSC00012.jpg

I've been told the triggers are different which may require some internal dremel work if you wanted to change the stock. The magazines are different.....nice guns.

Last edited:
Most of the difference in the P72 and M78 is in the designations. There were at least three different triggers on this series, and I'm not certain that the triggers were consistent with the designations. Earlier guns used a Monte Carlo stock, but the comb was rather low and did better for iron sights than for scopes. Some later stocks (possibly denoted by the non-cross checkered corners in the checkering panels) had a higher comb which did better with scopes.

I once tried a magazine from a M78 Hornet in a friend's P75 (apparently the 75 designation was produced only in Hornet). It's been a long time, but it seems as if it didn't fit due to being a tad too wide.

For an example of what you can do with a M78 Hornet, see this thread: http://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/braggin-time.10155/

Latest posts

Back