P72 .22lr ??

Discussion in 'Sako Rimfires and Small Action Rifles' started by deergoose, Aug 11, 2001.

1. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    OK, guys. What can you tell me about a P72 in .22 lr.?? Is this a model 72? I bought one today at a gun show in Richmond, VA....probably paid too much.. The gun looks like an early Garcia import but does not have any importers stamp on it. It has a ramped hooded front sight and a European style adjustable rear site. The rifle is detachable magazine fed. It has a checkered walnut stock with a redish-orange tint to it and a medium heavy 21.5" barrel. Looks like it has standard .22 scope rails but they are not integral, they are screwed on. The best thing about this gun is that it has a three digit serial number in the 100s and is clean as a whistle, just about perfect, w/ just a little blue wear on the underside of the barrel and on the bolt knob. Any comments?.....are extra clips available? and are there any suggestions out there for scope mounts?...thanks guys.

DeerGoose

2. Guest

Guest Banned

Hey Deer Goose, the model 72 is a earlier version of the model 78. The model 72 had couple of variations including white line spacers. They typically are very accurate and are desirable. As far as clips they are available. Ralph Sullivan and Jim Lutes would be good places to start.

Sako Finnbear
    Manager

3. Guest

Guest Banned

4. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    thanks Finnbear for the info ! Do you or anyone happen to know how many model 72 .22s that were produced.? I was under the impression that the model 72 was a centerfire rifle only (????). And as chance would have it, mine does have the white line spacers. One on the thicker, Garcia-era grip cap and one at the butt plate. The butt plate is the older black plastic one with the old Sako "gear-wheel" emblem. Pretty cool, huh ?....I plan to post some detailed pictures of this gun when I get a chance.

DeerGoose

5. Guest

Guest Banned

Hello Deergoose, glad to find someone else who is now a proud owner of the P72 Sako 22. I have had one for many years and is the most accurate 22 I own along with Kimber,Anshultz,and Walther. On a good day it will shoot under 1 1/2 inches at 100 yds.with PMC ammo. I have been trying for years to find any info on this sporter with no luck. I still have the box and according to the end label they were made in sporter, heavy barrel and junior. In both 22 and 22 Mag.with open sights and also peep sights .They also carry the name Finnscout along with the P72. They were inported by Stoeger.The one I own is the sporter with the white spacers on both butt and grip cap. As to how many were imported I have no idea. Serial # on mine is 703XXX. Hope this might be of help to you . Any additional info you might find please let me know . [email protected]

6. Guest

Guest Banned

I can't believe this...I joined today and one of my motivations was to find out something - anything - about a Sako Rimfire I purchased at a gun show several years ago and allowed to slip into the no-man's land that is the back row of my safe.

I also have the P-72 sporter in .22lr .It's serial is in the 704 series. Your description is dead-on except for the grip cap. While this rifle has the white spacer at the gear butt-plate, there is no grip cap. The grip is finished and appears to be original.

I recently dug this rifle out of the back of the safe and started playing with it. I wish now I had worked with it before investing in that German stuff. Just wait til the guys at the range see these groups - and it likes the inexpensive CCI MiniMag (not an error) as opposed to the "Lapueleygold" - yet another savings... Hope you guys are enjoying yours as much as I will mine...take care...A1PPC.

7. Guest

Guest Banned

Hello all.
    I am also a new member here, and have a Sako P-72 rimfire. I purchased it at a local gun show about three years ago. I haven't been able to find out when it was mfg. or how many were built. I contacted Sako and they weren't able to tell me anything either. The rifle was, as new, with the box, but no papers or manual. It has front and rear sights wich are screw mounted, and scope bases wich were also screw mounted and a spare mag. The ser # is 706XXX and it doesn't have a pistol grip cap. It does have the white spacer on the buttplate. Under the barrel at the fore end tip is stamped, "Imported by Stoeger". The barrel was floated when I bought it, but in recent days, I have talked to someone who said that his 72 had some up pressure on the barrel from the stock. He also said that it had some metal shims under the action and by moving them he could in effect float the barrel. But in doing so it shot terrible groups. My question is, where in the fore end is the pressure applied to the barrel. I have tried tempoary shims about two inches back from the tip, with not much improvement. And has anyone else found those shims in their 72.
    Thanks for any input.

8. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    No shims on my P72. And I'm not sure how to really tell where the pressure points are on the barrel. Other than "hazing" points in the barrel channel of the stock where the barrel has rubbed over the years. I've managed to indentify pressure points in my centerfire guns, but only have this one P72 and it shoots great, less that 3/4-1" at 50 yards. So, I didn't touch it after getting these groups. Maybe someone else can help.

good luck,
    DeerGoose