• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

P54 on GunBroker

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

The gun is likely a bringback from Europe
Since no P54's were ever commercially imported to the U.S. then any P54 would have to have been brought in by an individual, either a military personnel "bringback" or otherwise imported by an individual. If it were a GI bringback or was imported prior to 1969 then it would have no import mark.

Have any of you guys asked for some more detailed pics ?

I haven’t been able to set up a Gunbroker account from here.

This ad for the P54 is interesting. Canada, maybe? Note that the English is North American, not British - i.e. "checkering" not "chequering." No information as to who the importer is, or where.

Attachments

• P54 Ad 1.pdf
    559.7 KB · Views: 33
My guess is it's an "American" ad. Only an American would make up the term "clip magazine". The magazine release "being self-acting" & "locking time" are other terms that indicate the writer had very limited knowledge of firearms & it wasn't proof read by anyone that did. Interesting, non the less. Thanks for sharing!

My guess is it's an "American" ad. Only an American would make up the term "clip magazine". The magazine release "being self-acting" & "locking time" are other terms that indicate the writer had very limited knowledge of firearms & it wasn't proof read by anyone that did. Interesting, non the less. Thanks for sharing!
I disagree that the text was written by a native English speaker who had little knowledge of firearms. I've read many examples of firearms descriptions written by people who have excellent knowledge of firearms and are quite fluent in English, but when firearms terms from another language are translated to English they sometimes "miss the mark", so to speak. For example, the word in Finnish which Sako uses for what we call "barrel" is actually the Finnish word for "pipe". The Finnish term for what we call "action" translates as "lock mechanism", and "stock" is Finnish for "log" or "wood".

It doesn't surprise me that where we might say "lock time" for the milliseconds between the release of the trigger and the strike of the firing pin that a non-native speaker might just as easily say "locking time". And perhaps knowing the errant English usage of "clip" and "magazine" as somewhat interchangeable, such writer might use both terms in order to assure being understood.

Regardless, as Paulson says, the ad copy is interesting and it would be good to know where it came from and to whom it was directed. I suspect it was intended for Australian/New Zealand and perhaps British consumers since the P54 was never imported to the U.S.

Looks like this P54 went for $2,475.
Upside is that the Sako brand continues to be appreciated, is appreciating in value, collectible for their quality & consistently superb barrels.

*Buyer probably one of those well-heeled, fat stock show Pennsylvanian eagles fan….
(repartee/sarcasm & humor intended)

Last edited:
Looks like the buyer and the runner up both knew what they were bidding on…one just wanted it more.
$25 between them at the end.
From what I’ve seen with this gun ,in all my years of Sakohaulism, I feel it is an original and unmolested example of a seldom seen , grail level rifle. Like said, the P54’s were never available for new purchase in the US. This alone counts for much in my opinion.
Spaher is right in saying that the Sako rifles of old are highly regarded and highly respected as the “Most Accurate Hunting Rifle in the World”

A P54 DeLux…how cool!

well..Spaher didn’t really say it like that but I know what he means;)

*regardless of their favorite football teams
(Both of which suck by the way, cowboys or eagles)
Go Redskins!

Last edited by a moderator:
Old Hippie, for the record I am NOT a cowboys fan! LOL
Actually quit following after 1983 when Howard Cosell left Monday Night Football from the Cosell, Frank Gifford & Don Meredith sportscast team. Better days then.

Last edited:
Upside is that the Sako brand continues to be appreciated, is appreciating in value, collectible for their quality & consistently superb barrels.

*Buyer probably one of those well-heeled, fat stock show Pennsylvanian eagles fan….
Touche'. Turnabout is fair play! No Fat Stock Shows up here but do have a great Farm Show where my favorite event is where Giant Belgian teams hitched to pull a sled (real horsepower)!. Hoofprints so big a troop of Rangers could drink their fill!

Is that the group with the new eloquent Senator ? & Ditto!!

FWIW: I think the item was the real McCoy. Everything about the stock was "right" for a factory Sako. Just as there were only a handful of Deluxe Finnwolfs (which were never cataloged) there may have been a few P54's, P72's, or M78's made in the Deluxe mode. We just don't know how many Holy Grails there might be out there to be pursued.

By the way, I have run onto two very scare proprietary Sakos in the last few weeks that I was lucky enough to buy at reasonable prices. Haven't got them in hand yet, but will post photos and background when I do.

Actually quit following after 1983 when Howard Cosell left Monday Night Football from the Cosell, Frank Gifford & Don Meredith sportscast team. Better days then.
I remember Cosell sparring with Mohammad Ali .. Billy Kilmer was QB for the Redskins…the rest is blurred with images of Richard Nixon and Schwinn Lemon Peelers! :cool:

Is that the group with the new eloquent Senator ? & Ditto!!
No, the horses have a real job and experience and like the senator have depended on someone to feed, house and support them. However, they are handsome animals and do not associate with Jackasses.

I lost a lot of my enthusiasm for the Cowboys when Jerry Jones bought the team......and dumped on Tom Landry.
Those feelings were reaffirmed later when I met Jones in the late 90's......as the Cowboys spent two of their summer camps in our fair city. I had a VIP sideline pass for myself and my daughter. While at the refreshments tent, I was introduced to Jerry. First words out of his mouth, while shaking my hand, were "Have you bought any of our souvenir shirts and hats yet?"
Always the huckster.....

Hey........at least we got some nice shrimp/snacks......and a picture of my daughter and lineman Nate Newton.

Last edited:
I remember Cosell sparring with Mohammad Ali .. Billy Kilmer was QB for the Redskins…the rest is blurred with images of Richard Nixon and Schwinn Lemon Peelers! :cool:
I am surprised the mods let you get away with "Redskins". " The Indigenous Ones" have chosen the Commanders as their modern term to celebrate population dilution. (somehow my mind doesn't wrap itself around the memories of "Cowboys and Commanders". Hollywood will never be the same").

They will forever be the Redskins to me..I like all the teams named to give homage to our “indigenous ones”. Glad the rest got to hold on to that.

Mods? Are there still Mods?
Hopefully my shenanigans will not provoke the Mods:cool:

I am surprised the mods let you get away with "Redskins". " The Indigenous Ones" have chosen the Commanders as their modern term to celebrate population dilution. (somehow my mind doesn't wrap itself around the memories of "Cowboys and Commanders". Hollywood will never be the same").
Thank you misako50,
Thanks for forever educating me ! The last name for the former Redskins I heard was from Sienfeld & I thought it was the Foreskins?? I live & learn! B/T

The Jerry Jones story brings to mind one reason that I am a Packers fan - the team is community owned and therefore immune to the greed of owners, like threatening to move if the taxpayers don't finance a new stadium.

My only connection to the former Redskins is via my adventures with the Redskinettes. Somehow "Commanderettes" just doesn't have that ring to it. And did you know that "Redskins" did not originate with whites, or as a derogatory term for Native Americans in general? Early white colonists in New England picked up the term from a local Indian tribe, who used it to refer to a rival tribe that painted their faces red.

The Jerry Jones story brings to mind one reason that I am a Packers fan - the team is community owned and therefore immune to the greed of owners, like threatening to move if the taxpayers don't finance a new stadium.

My only connection to the former Redskins is via my adventures with the Redskinettes. Somehow "Commanderettes" just doesn't have that ring to it. And did you know that "Redskins" did not originate with whites, or as a derogatory term for Native Americans in general? Early white colonists in New England picked up the term from a local Indian tribe, who used it to refer to a rival tribe that painted their faces red.
Thanks Icebear,
Like you, I have a friend, a neighborhood pal that played for the Redskins in the 1970s. He graciously invited my family & I to the aftergame supper when they played The Falcons in Atlanta. My young sons were wide eyed & met Coach Lombardi, Lenn Hause & others. I am forever thankful to have been in their company. Also my friend Vinny liked to eat with us when my mom made venison stew when we were kids, & like Hippie, they will forever be the Redskins for me!! B/T

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back