Original aperture sight

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by Karelian, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Karelian

Karelian Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
    I have a late model SAKO aperture sight that works well and adjusts properly on my early L579 12-groove .308. The sight also fits my L461 .223, however, even with the lowest front sight blade, and the aperture raised as far as possible, the bullet impact on target at 100 yards is 6-7 inches too low. What am I doing wrong?

2. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Ammo, maybe? Different bullet weights shoot to different elevations, but I've never seen that much variation between loads in .222 or .223, which have very similar ballistics. Or maybe just variation between guns? Have you tried flipping the sight to the 200 yard setting? Seems odd. Perhaps others have tried the peep sight on an L461 and can share their experience. My own experience with the Sako peep is limited to an L46, where it works fine.

3. Karelian

Karelian Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah

4. Karelian

Karelian Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
    Thanks for the reply. I have tried flipping to the 200 meter setting without success. My handloads are 55 grain fmj or 55 grain psp with moderate, not maximum loads of IMR4895 for the .223. Perhaps there is some problem with adjustment of the two main action screws that is affecting the bedding pressure. I'll keep experimenting.

5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    There are several different versions of the Sako receiver sight and some are taller or shorter than others. You probably need the version with the front side slanted (not vertical). I believe that this one is a tad taller than the earlier ones although I haven't had occasion to measure.

6. Karelian

Karelian Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah

Attached Files:

7. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    There are also variations in the front sight blade heights, you may want to measure them on both guns to verify they are the same height.