Short Actions Opportunity to purchase

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by Hedgehoghunter, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Hedgehoghunter

Hedgehoghunter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Hello ,
    For starters I have always enjoyed Sako rifles . My first centerfire rifle after completing my occupation training and becoming a 1st class lineman was a deluxe grade Sako many years ago .
    I remember that rifle like yesterday beautiful wood , Heavy barrel ,243 chambering and it shot extremely well . As with alot of things time changed and personal wants changed and I sold the gun . Marriage buying a house , etc etc .
    Now the other day a good friend called me looking to sell his Sako single shot target 6 ppc .What should I be looking for are any certain models in.more demand ? He explained that it is walnut wood , blued metal ,Heavy barrel with a hole in the trigger guard . Any insight on value or anything else you can provide would be thankful as I want to be fair. I would rate the gun in the 95% . The only # he provided was A64_.
    Thanks for any help
    New member Jim

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Your 6mm PPC was made from 1987 to 1990 on the AI solid bottom single shot action & had a target trigger with two holes in the trigger guard to allow external adjustment of that trigger. They used a special serial number sequence that started with either an A, B, or C followed by three digits. They were chambered in 6mm PPC USA with it's standardize neck diameter, unlike the 6mm PPC's used in bench rest that had various tight neck dimensions. They make great target & varmint rifles with accuracy capability well under .5 MOA. Checking past auctions & sales will give you an idea of market value, but it boils down to what a willing buyer & a willing seller agree to. You could also peruse the forum section on Sako short actions, specifically the 6mm PPC, and get more info.

Hedgehoghunter likes this.
  3. Hedgehoghunter

Hedgehoghunter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Thanks very much for the information
    Jim

4. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I have 2 of them, one in 6 PPC and the other is 22 PPC. They are # A020 and A021, consecutive serial numbers, both solid action single shots. The trigger can be made to feel like no other trigger you have tried. They are as positive and light as a set trigger and still feel better. They are both extremely accurate, but the top shooter is the 6mm.

As far as value goes, I would say a 95% gun should be from $1300.00 to as much as $1800.00, depending on how much the seller is asking and how much the buyer is willing to pay. I would strongly suggest you buy it, you won't be disappointed with how it shoots and I doubt you will find another factory rifle in any configuration that will keep up with it in the accuracy department...

DSCN4640.JPG DSCN4641.JPG DSCN4645.JPG

5. Hedgehoghunter

Hedgehoghunter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Yes Im considering this to shoot in factory class BR . I have owned a few short range 100-300 yard custom BR heavy class guns also in the past with different neck diameters in the 6 ppc Norma chamberings . I need to educate myself on this 6 ppc USA chambering. I'm sure this chambering isn't not running in the Norma pressure range . Are quality dies available for this chambering. Can you use Lapua or Norma brass ? 220 Russian brass?
    Thanks,
    Jim

6. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I used to have one of those. It was one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned - and I've had some real tack drivers. Sold it to a close friend who wanted it badly, otherwise I would have kept it. If you buy it, you'll be glad you did.

7. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I use Norma brass. I had both Sako and Norma brass in the past and didn’t like the Sako brass. I loaded all my ammunition with RCBS dies and later got Redding bench rest dies and still can’t tell any difference in accuracy, but all I am shooting is varmints and I don’t worry about tiny groups...

8. Hedgehoghunter

Hedgehoghunter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Thanks for all the information . I'm trying to work a purchase of this rifle

Unclekax likes this.
  9. Humble308

Humble308 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Absolutely gorgeous rifles!

10. northernlights

northernlights Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    Good Luck!

11. Hedgehoghunter

Hedgehoghunter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Thanks guys I should know something within the week

12. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    How did this turn out?

I would run mine in the local groundhog shoot benchrest meets but they outlawed all factory PPC and 6BRs from their “factory” designation. So their reputation for accuracy is no joke.

I’ve had good luck with Norma brass. Lapua brass runs well too but you have to fire form them. The Sako 6PPC chamber is a bit generous on my two. I use a Harrells die (#0 I think) since most every other FL PPC die pushes too much. Works very well, especially if you can find bullets that jump well.

13. Hedgehoghunter

Hedgehoghunter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Finally the deal went through. Good friend that is selling decided that he would sell .With all going on I told him I would send a check and get later .After 39 years I will soon be a Sako owner again . Looking forward single shot 6ppc target barrel and adjustable trigger.
    Jim 8310.jpeg 8314.jpeg

14. northernlights

northernlights Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    Congrats!!! After 39 years, I hope this is the 1st of more Sakos to come for you!

dgeesaman likes this.
  15. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    That's a really clean rifle. Has it ever been fired?

David

16. Hedgehoghunter

Hedgehoghunter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Thanks everyone . I lucked up on this one . General conversation at gun club with the subject of Sakos brought this up . Good friend has decided to stop rifle shooting because of sight issues . He offered the gun a few months ago without knowing he really wanted to sell I suggested that he let me know when he wanted to sell . I got the text today asking if I was still interested. The rest is history . I told him I would send him a check just to hang on to it until I get back that way . He told me it has had close to 2 boxes of factory ammo through it .

gowyo and dgeesaman like this.
  17. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Nice setup! Did you get the scope as well? Appears virtually new!

18. Hedgehoghunter

Hedgehoghunter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Yep I told the seller a long time friend to leave the scope on it . It wasn't my first choice but I don't want to separate the combo . It's a 8.5x25 VX3 I wished it was a thin crosshair but it has the varmint hunter reticle . I've got a XP 100 pistol coming together . I'm making it a switch barrel 6.5x47 AI and a 6x47 Lapua . I may switch this scope it looks like new to the XP.
    Jim

19. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
  20. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Why keep it. Just because it belonged to a friend that you told him you wanted it. Just peddle it for something else.