Sako Opening Day!

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Bernie’s Dad, Oct 31, 2021.

1. Bernie’s Dad

Bernie’s Dad Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    Landowners in Connecticut can hunt white tails in 25 hours and 20 minutes (but who is counting)? Getting gear ready today and trying to decide which Sako to use. Any other opening days happening soon across this beautiful planet?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stephen novick and Old Hippie like this.

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Our's started 2 weeks ago, I wnet yesterday to a place I recently purchased (23 acres middle Georgia) I saw more deer yesterday morning than I've seen in the last "I don't know how long..."!
    Had my scope on a few, 1 was too small (Yearling doe) 2 I just couldn't get steady enough to take a shot, they were pretty far (Do able for sure) I just decided to pass. Then I saw a MONSTER buck, he busted me. the hunt continues!

Oh and a flock of turkeys, there's no fall season for them in Georgia....

Old Hippie likes this.
  3. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Formerly known as bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    You guys are lucky…me and my Sako’s still have almost 3 weeks to wait!
    BD..Granny’s gonna be pissed went she sees those rifles on the fancy Billy-yard table…put the pot passers back where they belong!
    Bloo

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
  4. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I feel for you Bloo likewise our gun season starts Sat. after Thanksgiving although going to go do a little Archery next week

Old Hippie likes this.
  5. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    yep! I hoping to do a lot of archery in the next week or two! Activity is still predominantly nocturnal but some of our Big boys have been seen during shooting hours of daylight. It’s another banger year for acorns , like marbles underfoot. This makes it a bit more difficult, deer can almost stay bedded and eat the acorns as they fall and roll to them.
    I love it!

bloo

6. marlin92

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Unfortunately few acorns here except on the Sawtooth Oaks I planted, a few apples The problem right now is 2 of my heighbors still have standing corn so they are bedded in it and eating what they want LOL.

7. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Acorns are high on the list .. but Yella-call (corn) will bring them in. Very popular here to feed corn at each and every stand location. I have never shot a deer off of a pile of it .. it’s not how I was raised. In the same respect I’ve never field dressed one that didn’t have a belly full of it. Lol..they can’t stay in that cornfield forever! ( at least we like to think that )
    I enjoy the anticipation, the unknown, the natural opportunities…I enjoy the hunt almost more than the kill. It’s what feeds my desires to return, year after year.
    Good luck to each and every hunter out there! Hunt safe and hunt with ethic and integrity! And..Kill a Big’n!
    Bloo

8. Bernie’s Dad

Bernie’s Dad Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. marlin92

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Here in PA it is illegal to bait deer with anything, can't carry a cup of corn in the woods and place it. But you can grow a field full of corn and sit in the middle of it if you want. Yeah it is the anticipation of what might show up and how quickly it can happen, one minute you are depressed at not having seen anything then the next congratulating yourself for being such a great Hunter and being able to outsmart that bruiser. Truth be told I enjoy checking my trail cams as much as hunting and never go in the woods without a camera. Took me about a month to locate a scent log the Fishers on my place were using by moving trail cams over and over but have gotten lots of pictures of them now and a few great videos. Gotta love the outdoors and wildlife in it

Old Hippie likes this.
  10. Spaher

Spaher Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Down south, we've been hunting and scouting with recent success on the scouting side on top of hammering predators.
    Like to share a group of 5 5X5's (a flush) that recently revealed themselves while scouting. Only the last one is old enough and ready to go with hopes that he becomes a Sako tribute in the next week or two. He is probably closer to 9.5 than 8.5 y.o, and rolling in fat as seen by the folds on his neck as he walks and makes a scrape, a sign that he will return to that spot soon. If rain were to co-operate with cooler weather and no full moon, it might get the mature/post-mature bucks moving in daylight. The other 4 are 5.5 to 6.5 y.o.'s and future prospects. The old boy has some bets on him on body weight and my guess is that he is over 250 lbs. and in pre-rut condition will make fab venison on the grill. These 5 typicals cause hunting fever. Updates to come and share. Please enjoy

11. Bucktote

Bucktote Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hi guys!
    Good to see all the posts by fellow hunters. Went last fri. PM didn't see all the does & yearlings I saw the week before. Reason beng THE CHASE IS ON!!
    Happy Grayfox is hunting on his newly aquired place & is seeing deer. Call me Mr. GF if you want to go after work one evening @ my place. I can only sit one stand & always wonder what is going on at the others??? My nephew is seeing
    a big buck on his trail camera . I think It was the one I saw opening day, but it was too dark to get a good fix on him. But they get goofy when the rut starts. B/T

Old Hippie likes this.
  12. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    I actually spoke with our WV DNR a while back about baiting whitetail deer..as a youth I was taught to never shoot quarry at the water, never carry apples or corn to the woods. If you hunt an apple tree or an orchard then ok..but no baiting in areas where these tree did not exist. Natural trees like persimmon and crab apple will attract deer to proximity. Seemed fair enough to me then. Now, with the over abundance of attractants from candy crush powdered to oil jugs of WTF ever that stuff is..it’s really becoming kinda crazy. The DNR told me to have at it..with anything that’s available. A couple of years ago my son and I were using Crush quite a bit and it gave the feeding deer severe diarrhea. I mean all of them. My son shot a smallish buck that looked like it had not wiped its rear end for days..nasty!
    Fishers and martens are awesome critters..and mink
    If you are seeing them you are one of the few and far between. Those photos would definitely be worth a peek!;)
    Bloo

13. marlin92

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Fisher 1.jpg HERE are a few fisher pictures

Attached Files:

14. Bucktote

Bucktote Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    HI Bloo,
    Would you know a Frank Marsteller from West ,B.G. VA.?? Was an A.F. buddy SAC
    We sank a fishing boat in the Ogeechee River when we were young! what an
    experience.. Best of luck next week !! B/T

Old Hippie likes this.
  15. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Guess I just better quit complaining about too many fox squirrels around my place.

marlin92 likes this.
  16. marlin92

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    If you get a fisher or two they will thin out the squirrel not to mention the turkey. Have some pictures somewhere of the Fisher carrying/eating a turkey

17. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Spaher: Those are real hogs in that video (the antlered kind)! You've done a fantastic job of management on your place which few can equal.

Next week is the general opener in most of Central/North Texas. Spring rains were good and people are reporting some excellent antler development.

18. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    I would love to see the morons hand feed a few Fishers. I've been threatened a few times for "attempting" to thin the squirrel population at my place. I fooled them and bought a silenced pellet rifle.

Old Hippie and marlin92 like this.
  19. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Hell yeah Mikey .. me too.. well mines not silent tho’
    I thinned out all summer ..defending my peach tree!
    Bushy tailed sons a beaches..ate all my sweet peaches!

Bloo

marlin92 likes this.
  20. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Spaher… I felt my trigger finger tensioning by the time I got to the third buck…you have a fine gene pool of whitetail and the efforts you put forth towards conservation and management are wonderfully obvious! What an awesome video!

Marlin…I’ve got a couple photos on cam of what I thought might be a Fisher but it’s small..more weasel sized. Martens were reintroduced here in the ‘60s but numbers are few. I also have suspicion that our pond has some mink around it too. I’ve only seen one in my life time so…time will tell

BD…just lay all your Sako’s on the Billy-yard table and take a different gun each day! Easy access!

bloo