One More For Scrutiny

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by kirkbridgershooters, Apr 2, 2020.

1. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I suppose that boxes can get lost or disposed of. The more significant question is how does an action with a serial number in the 300,000's (post-1974) "grow" some bottom metal with a pre-1968 "s"-shaped magazine release?

Maybe a younger Sako and an older Sako had a sexual affair and when they went to put their clothes back on they got their bottom metals mixed up?

There's bound to be some perfectly innocent explanation for the mismatch in the action and the bottom metal, right?

Isn't that right, "Gunfather"?

susanna likes this.
  3. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    If the seller was anybody else, I'd think that maybe on the day that rifle was assembled, the factory ran out of new Deluxe bottom metal assemblies and found an NOS part in a bin somewhere in the back. However, that explanation would sound kind of dubious coming from this seller. I also noticed how shiny and new the pad seems to be - could it be one of the Gunfather's "NOS" repro pads?

Anyway, at $3495 I am not a buyer!

4. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    The sad part about this whole Gunfather deal, is he really fooling someone? Are these homemade rifles selling?

5. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    "S" shaped magazine release, no Bofors mark on the barrel, perfect stock and recoil pad, sling studs, what an alphabet soup Sako. It sure is pretty though...

6. FLT

FLT Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    It sure is pretty, but I agree that it looks to perfect.

7. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    It's pretty, but sure in the hell not worth $3500.

This guy is plum fricking nuts! To make up and refinish a rifle and ask a price that a top notch original collectable would bring. o_O

8. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    I've seen him buy pieces on GB and I'm sure he has a stock duplicator. If he could correctly add the right age of pieces together he could put a niece "bogus" rifle up for sale.

9. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    A couple of years ago I saw him buy a badly beat up L46 Hornet on Gunbroker for more than it should have brought. The serial number was visible, so I wrote it down. A few weeks later an "as new" "Deluxe" L46 Hornet (same serial number, dating to long before Deluxes were ever made by Sako) showed up on his website. What a coincidence.

Another time he outbid a friend of mine for a Deluxe L579 .308. A week or two later I saw the same gun relisted by the original seller. My friend contacted the seller and was told that the first buyer (Gunfather) returned it for a refund with some unclear note referencing some kind of internal "crack" in the stock. The seller told my friend that he couldn't find anything wrong, but had refunded the money and relisted the rifle. So, my friend bid again and won it this time. When it arrived we completely disassembled it and found everything to be perfect.

What I've been told by other dealers is that some guys like Gunfather will have a customer looking for a particular gun. They find such a gun and buy it, then mark it up to the customer. If the customer declines to take it they then invent some excuse for why it is not acceptable and send it back to the seller for a refund. Thankfully, my experience is that guys like this are the exception and not the rule in the gun trading business.

Rocky likes this.