Old fart from Va

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Alan Dalton, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Alan Dalton

Alan Dalton Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Thanks for adding me. I have been hunting and shooting for many years but this is my first Sako. I tend toward Marlin lever guns for deer but a couple of bad weather days last year made me decide to get an all-weather rifle. Just picked up a like-new A7 Coyote in 25-06. Curious as to whether other hunters think its worthwhile to get the aluminum trigger guard and bolt cover? I prefer not to have plastic on a rifle but then again the whole stock is synthetic (another first for me). Also, the rifle has a Nightforce picatinny rail. I'm partial to Dednutz mounts on my Marlins. Would be interested in thoughts about the relative merits of the two (and open to offers on the picatinny). Thanks all and "Howdy".

2. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Howdy back Allen,

I don’t own a game reaper/dednutz style, so I cannot speak to the system, although it looks solid. I do have a mild custom A7 with a picatinny rail by Talley. I’ve replaced the bolt shroud and bottom metal on mine. I’ve also installed a carbon fiber bolt knob, as well as a stock replacement (the McMillan stock was about $150 more than the cost of the rifle). I’ve also had a Clarke brake installed.

The magazine is polymer with metal lips, I recommend buying a couple of spares, and don’t top load them. Nothing is available in an aftermarket.

The Coyote rifle is typically very accurate. A7’s are a love or hate rifle. There seems to be no middle ground. The stock is by Bell and Carlson. It should be tan with black speckles.

Mine was an experiment. Bought it cheap, invested in it, now it’s one hell of a rifle and tool. Make no mistake however, it’s not a replacement for any of my Vintage Sakos.

Nightforce is known fo building the highest quality tactical optics, so I’d imagine their rail is top shelf.

Personally, I like a rail on my given application as it offers a lot of flexibility within the maintube regarding spacing, plus there is a plethora of rings to choose from, but obviously this choice depends on the shooter and his or her given needs. Hope yours shoots well.

Alan Dalton likes this.