Okay to mount 1"tube with "26" ringmounts?

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Charles Witt, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Charles Witt

Charles Witt Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Just got a new l579 that came with high ring mounts and a vari-x iic scope already mounted. Upon inspection, I noticed that the scope rings are 26s, not 25.4s. Scope seems very snug, but I know it's not the right size. Anyone have experience with this? Should I just put the scope in some 25.4 ringmounts and move these 26s to storage (or to someone else that wants them?)

Thank you!
    20201021_165516.jpg 20201021_165451.jpg

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Who's that good looking Sako enthusiast in the background behind the scope?

I'd advise placing a small piece of electrical tape in each ring half. This will provide just enough bushing to assure that the 1" scope is secure in the very slightly oversized rings, as well as cushioning it from any ring marks due to slight misalignment of the rings.

susanna and Charles Witt like this.
  3. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Agree, and I would add that it's highly likely that whoever mounted the scope in the first place has already done it, or added a shim in some other way. I recently bought a rimfire with a 1" scope in a set of European 26mm rings and the tape had been trimmed and aligned so carefully that I had to look several times to be sure that the rings had, in fact, been shimmed.

Charles Witt likes this.