Oddball "Golden Anniversary"

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by stonecreek, Oct 10, 2019.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/836074494

There are obviously a number of features which don't "go" on the rifle offered in this auction. Just for grins, I'd be interested in everyone's interpretation (or guess) as to how it came to be and which parts from what models are involved.

2. Paul B.

Paul B. Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Looks like a Garcia era Finnbear sporter with a GA floorplate and a Coltsman rear sight.

3. tripledeuce

tripledeuce Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    Is this the Golden Goose chambered in the rare 30/06 and not the 7mm Mag?:rolleyes:

douglastwo likes this.
  4. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Must be the cheapo version (Model 74?) as there's no checkering on the forend. What a mess.

5. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Nope, the Model 74 Super Sporter was essentially the same rifle as the "standard sporter". I think they adopted the "Model 74" moniker to set it apart from the short-lived Model 72, which was supposed to be a stripped down version.

I've seen one other factory Sako stock from this era with checkering only on the pistol grip (however, this was a common configuration with some early L46's). I'm not sure why some stocks lacked the fore end checkering, but I'm guessing such stocks were made for "domestic" distribution in Finland and perhaps a couple of other European countries.

6. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    OK, I misremembered the number. I was thinking of the Model 72. I'll see if I can find a catalog picture of the 72 and see if it had checkering on the forend or not.

7. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yes, the Model 72's were fully checkered. In fact, some of the first ones had skipline checkering not too much different from the Deluxe models. They pretty quickly dropped this in favor of conventional checkering since the "cheap" Model 72 looked too much like a Deluxe. Model 72 features were all over the place. Some had smooth, uncheckered dovetail tops while others were just like the standard models. Some had rearward swept bolt handles while others had straight down bolt handles. Some had grip caps, others didn't. And most had sights, but not all. I've never seen an example of a Model 72 with no checkering on the fore arm -- however, that doesn't mean there wasn't one. But it would be hard to tell since the designation "Model 72" was nowhere on the gun, only on the box or hang tag.