New user and L61R 300 WIN MAG question

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Boone Walker, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Boone Walker

Boone Walker Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    I live in lower Michigan, hunt with Bow and inline for whitetail. Never owned rifle and need to purchase one for my first Elk/Mule Hunt this coming November on King mt Colorado. After reading various forums on rifles for Elk I have leaned towards Sako and from what I been reading regarding the love of these rifles my wife likely wont be happy with me and another new hobby. I have my eyes on a gun from contact in my small town who has several he is selling but only one SAKO. He must love Rugers because he has dozen M-77 of various calibers. After reading post on this site I think the SAKO is my choice but would like some support regarding what I should look for.
    On the barrel it states:300 WIN. MAG L61R No. 530xx (I see all post don't print all digits, this is 5 digit s/n)
    1. Scope on it is 4x40 Tasco which must be replaced; suggestions? I'm 54 so good optics must.
    2. I looked at it yesterday took few pics, researched forum for 4 hrs last night and now have better idea when I go back. For sure must look at bolt make sure s/n matches gun correct?
    3. What else should I look at? Asking $650.
    4. Thanks for your support ahead of time!![​IMG]

2. enotstehw

enotstehw Banned

Country Flag:
    Mexico
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    Boon welcome . . . . from the photo the stock is not a factory stock . . . thus it lowers the price in my book.
    The scope mounts are indeed Sako mounts . . . a plus . . .. but $650 is too much.
    You can pick up a 100% Sako in that price range of $650.00
    I'd hate to pay $500.00 for the gun in the photo.

3. Boone Walker

Boone Walker Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    Thank you! that's what I was looking for, I will begin looking other sales for SAKO.

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    If it is a complete Sako barreled action & happens to be in a nice aftermarket or custom stock doesn't mean it won't make a fine hunting rifle. You said you were looking for a good hunting rifle, not starting a Sako collection, so how it shoots & it's overall condition would dictate it's price. A L61R action alone would cost you $400-$500. The Sako ringmounts are $100 or more. I have several custom rifles built on Sako actions & they are some of my favorites. Don't let opinions & prejudices dictate what you should buy. Get more than one opinion & use them for guidance & use your own good judgement on what to buy. From what I can make out from the photo, it appears to be a nice rifle in great condition. The elk you shoot with it won't know the stock is not factory. BTW, it appears to be some pretty wood! Where else can you get a quality piece for that price? No matter what others say, you would be hard pressed to find an original Sako in that nice of condition @ anywhere near that low of a price. I'd tell them to drop the scope & reduce the price. Might surprise you what you can buy it for. Good luck & good hunting!!

5. Boone Walker

Boone Walker Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    You make a good point, I am looking for a shooter and not as a collector. I will look at it closer, when I looked at it yesterday it was done well regarding the stock. No pitting or marks on barrel. Maybe take a look at the bolt action? if it matches the barrel s/n likely would be decent gun. He said it was a Mauser action, was that the style in this gun. The first reply from Pennswood was very helpful, this will give me leverage in pricing and I would have no idea regarding if it was original or not. Appreciate both replies, very helpful. I will check it out then shoot it.

6. enotstehw

enotstehw Banned

Country Flag:
    Mexico
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    When it comes to resale value . . . customs are as hard to get rid of as a three legged horse.
    I bought a custom hb 219 donaldson wasp way back in the 70's . . . when I was young and stupid.
    I sold it for one third I had in it, three years later . . . it was a lesson well learned . . . it was the only gun I bought and resold for a loss . . . . and I'll never go back to a custom again.

7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I can't say how much or little the custom rifle you're looking at is worth simply from a single, undetailed photo, but I can say that finding a clean Sako in .300 Winchester for $650 would require finding a seller who didn't know the worth of his gun. You can barely even buy one of those pedestrian Ruger 77's for $650 at a retail store.

The custom rifle in question may or may not have an original Sako barrel on it, but it is easy to identify since a Sako barrel will have "Finnbear" or "Made in Finland" on the barrel with the caliber inscribed radially across the top of the chamber just in front of the action ring. Sako barrels do not have a serial number -- that is found only on the action.

Even if it has a custom barrel it could be an excellent shooter. Since the seller is local perhaps he would let you take it to the range to try out? That way you could not only see how it shoots, but could also see how the gun fits you and get a feel for its balance and weight.

Agreed that the scope should go. The most dependable and economical choice would be something like a Leupold VX-I 3-9X for a bit over $200. I have several of these, along with several more expensive Leupold VX-2's and VX-3's and can tell you that the practical difference in the hunting field between any of them is nil. Such a scope will fit nicely in the rings currently on the rifle.

8. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Sako made a long action rifle prior to 1961 (when the Sako L61R action was introduced) with a FN Mauser action, but the fact that this rifle is chambered in 300 Win Mag & it has the Sako ringmounts that attach directly to the action dovetails tells me it is a L61R Sako. It will have L61R stamped on the left side of the receiver. Many unknowledgeable people think the L61R is a Mauser but it is NOT. It has none of the features of the Mauser action except for the two front locking lugs. Your seller obviously doesn't know what he is selling which can give you an advantage in negotiations. Good Luck!!

9. Boone Walker

Boone Walker Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    I have another pic, doesn't say SAKO, Finnbear or Finland. Maybe missed it but see photo.[​IMG]

10. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    It is a Sako L61R action with a custom (non-Sako) barrel installed in a custom stock. The rings are genuine factory Sako. Like Paulson said, the action and the rings by themselves are worth from $500-$600. Even if the stock, scope, and barrel were only worth $100 total parted out, then the rifle is only priced at about the value of its components. And with that serial number it may be a three-lug bolt, making it a bit more desirable. If it turns out to be a good shooter then you're way ahead of the Savage 110 that Joe Sixpack will be stalking his elk with.

11. Boone Walker

Boone Walker Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    Thanks for all the support. I will update when I shoot it.
    Three lug bolt I need to check forum for pics so I know what it is.

12. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The early L61R's had "third" or rear/safety lug located on the bolt body a little forward of the bolt handle. It locked into a notch machined in the bottom of the action under the rear action bridge. It is cubed shaped & welded directly to the side of the bolt body. It was later deemed to be unnecessary & eliminated from the later L61R's.

13. Boone Walker

Boone Walker Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan

Hi All,
    back in April I was posting L61R 300 WIN MAG, s/n 53086 which has from past thread told non factory barrel and stock which is fine due to need shooter not collector. I have gun now and wanted to know if anyone recognizes the barrel info. I also attached bolt. Just curious on barrel.

Attached Files:

14. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I can only guess about the barrel stampings. The ROSS could be either the barrel maker or the smith who installed it. The 3 70 could mean March 1970. The other numbers may be identification numbers used by the barrel maker. Like I said, just guessing

15. Boone Walker

Boone Walker Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    I also emailed couple barrel mfg, Ross & ER Shaw. I though might have been Shaw due to top of barrel has ER stamped with letters very close almost overlapped. I thought March 1970 but I believe the gun is 1973 from SAKO s/n pdf stating "Special numbering for magnum calibers".

Plus from the previous threads this is replacement barrel due to no SAKO markings on barrel. I did go out yesterday for scope and could not find one to fit and 40mm objective lens was the largest possible to use.. I looked at other threads to find what new rings would get it higher for better choice of scope but wasn't sure. Wanted Leopold VX series but only could fit Nikon Prostaff 3-12 x 40. So thats what I have on it and going to shoot for first time today! Going to try Barnes VOR-TEX 180gr TTSX BT per hunting friend due to this is my first rifle and first Colorado trip coming up Nov 1st. I partly thinking about sticking with original SAKO rings and scope I have on it just due to form and fit and stability.

Picture of gun ready to see what she can do-

Have a good day!

Attached Files: