• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Finnwolf VL63 New to VL63 - Feedback on this welcome

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Dave Cory

Hello All,
I was able to acquire my first Finnwolf and wondered what these photos may convey to some of the experts...? This gun looks used but not abused... Some of the questions I have are;
  • The age based on four digit serial # starting with 4? The number on the bolt matches / no import stamp under the barrel.
  • Three holes in the back base mount? Factory drilled? I have heard some came with three and some two?
  • Front Sight and hood factory?
  • Ramp Sight says Williams on the side?
  • IMG_3122.jpg IMG_3124.jpg
  • IMG_3125.jpg IMG_3126.jpg IMG_3127.jpg IMG_3131.jpg IMG_3132.jpg IMG_3133.jpg IMG_3135.jpg IMG_3136.jpg IMG_3122.jpg IMG_3124.jpg IMG_3125.jpg IMG_3126.jpg IMG_3127.jpg IMG_3131.jpg IMG_3132.jpg IMG_3133.jpg IMG_3135.jpg IMG_3136.jpg IMG_3122.jpg IMG_3124.jpg IMG_3125.jpg IMG_3126.jpg IMG_3127.jpg IMG_3131.jpg IMG_3132.jpg IMG_3133.jpg IMG_3135.jpg IMG_3136.jpg
Thanks Collectors!

The front sight and hood look like factory to me. I've never seen a Williams sight on a Finnwolf (the ones I've seen with sights have had European style ladder sights), but Sako used a lot of Williams sights on the A-series bolt guns and might well have equipped some Finnwolfs with them as well. As for the three holes, I've heard the same but I don't know for sure. I'd guess the extra hole is for some kind of aperture rear sight, but that's a guess. I seem to recall having seen a photo of a Finnwolf with such a sight.

The Finnwolf is typically extremely accurate, quite possibly the most accurate lever action ever made. Internally, it's a bolt-action rifle with a monkey-motion linkage by which the lever operates the bolt. Unfortunately, the action has a reputation for fragility, and is very difficult to work on. It's said to be almost impossible for anybody but Merlin the Magician to put one back together. If one ever requires work, it is imperative to find a gunsmith who has specific experience with the Finnwolf. I had one many years ago, which typically shot around 3/4" groups at 100 yards. I never had the least trouble with it, but I sold it to a friend and something in the action let go the very first time he took it to the range. It took him several months to get it fixed, and the bill was not trivial.

the holes in the top of the receiver are for the factory dovetails for the sako rings. there is a weaver set as mine came with. i too have never seen a williams rear sight. my 308 shots incredibly well!

there is a weaver set as mine came with.
The hole pattern on the Finnwolf is the same as on the Winchester Model 88, a lever gun similar in appearance to a Finnwolf. So, the Weaver, Redfield, Leupold, etc. bases for the Model 88 will also fit a Finnwolf, making it relatively easy to fit a scope to a Finnwolf even if original Sako bases cannot be found.

This leaves open the question of the third hole at the rear of some Finnwolfs. As mentioned in my previous post, I think that may be for an aperture sight.

Latest posts

Back