New to site, but not new to Sako

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Kodiak Kid, Oct 6, 2019.

1. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Value to the eyes or value with dollar signs? Ditch the grips and I'd say it looks great like it is. If it functions great and shoots great, "I think to myself, this has been through the worst of times and still keeps on ticking". If you want to put it in a velvet lined wooden box get it blued. An older Winchester was mentioned in this thread, if an 1893 lever gun ever got reblued that would be a shame. If it is solid rust and junk go for it.

2. Kodiak Kid

Kodiak Kid Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    Very good point. But like I said earlier. I didn't put the Mcmillians on the rifles to spruce them up and make them look better. Who in there right mind would think Black fiberglass looks better than those beautiful blond European walnut factory stocks. I put them on for two reasons. The biggest is for performance reliability. I don't know where you live. But Hear on Kodiak Island the Barometric Pressure and weather changes rapidly by several points on the Barometer here. Sometimes by several millibars in a couple hours. I don't know how much experience you have with hunting in coastal humid cold to warm, warm to cold environments but it dose cause the wood to swell and contract changing torque on lead mounting screws and affecting FF. I'm not a collecter I'm an avid huter in rural Alaska. I have approxamatly ten rifles I use for differant things and have killed every big game species Alaska has to offer with the exception of musk ox. How many Dall Sheep hunts have you been on or Mt Goat hunts, sliding and crawling on loose shale slopes scaring and splintering your rifle stock? I don't know hardly any serious Alaskan hunters that use Rifles with wood Stocks. My Finnbears are tools not wall hangers. When I do get to old to hunt and do hang them on the wall and retire them. I will have those beautiful stocks to put back on them. And I'm sure as hell!!! Not worried about there value. Like I said before. I'll never sell them! The word was curious. As far as restoration goes. I asked that question regarding all my firearms not just because I want to increase the value of my Sakos or make them look pretty. There as beautiful to me today as the day I saw them being fired by my dad as a little kid regardless of the upgraded stocks glass or any other changes I've made. My ol man didn't hunt nearly as hard as I do. Thanks for the Info and good day...

Tomball likes this.
  3. Kodiak Kid

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    I definitely understand they are not the same with different face diameters and definitely not interchangeable. I just thought they were the same design until the third locking lug on the .338 was pointed out. Thanks though...

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    You asked for opinion & input, so I offered mine with the caveat that it was just my two cents & other opinions may vary. It was offered in a helpful way & there is no requirement that you accept or reject it. Best of luck on your hunt! BTW, I still think it's more fun to hunt with a pretty rifle!!

5. Kodiak Kid

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    And after reading your latest reply to my restoration question. I probably will have the 06 reblued when I retire it. Thanks again for or your input...

6. Kodiak Kid

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    Your absolutely right. Didn't mean to come of defensively or offensively. I apologize if I did. I really do appreciate your advice and or opinion. I hope we are starting to understand each other...

7. Kodiak Kid

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    The biggest reason I was curious about there value is because when people see them and recognize what make Rifles they are and there age, they practically get on there knees with worship asking what they are worth in value and I never had a good answer other than " I dont know as far as market value but they are priceless to me"...

8. Kodiak Kid

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska

9. Kodiak Kid

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    The only two cents have about your Luger is regardless what you decide to to with, it. That thing is bad ass!!! The grips are a little ugly though. But heck you can have any type of grip you want made. I did for my S&W 629 classic...