New to scc

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Bobby2506, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Bobby2506

Bobby2506 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    Hello to all in scc, I bought my first sake in 1972. A forester in .243. Loved it for deer hunting until I saw a finnwolf in .243 on the wall at a pawn shop. That was the coolest gun I had ever seen. Needed to sell my forester to get the money to buy the finnwolf so started calling friends who liked my forester. Before I could get mine sold, the finnwolf sold. I was so devastated. A year went by and the finnwolf showed back up in the pawn shop. This time, I put a deposit and agreed to monthly payments to secure it. Sold the forester and paid off the wolf. Have hunted deer with it now for 57 years. It always shot better than average but a couple of years back I found the 95 gr Berger classic hunter and developed a load using hodgeden H4831SC powder and the results were unbelievable. I had a nice Swarovski scope in 3x10 power but with the newly found accuracy I upgraded to a 4x16 Swarovski PH scope with the TDS reticle which has multiple crosshairs out to 600 yards. It is so much fun going to the range with friends using new A/R style rifles, some very expensive, and seeing the look on their face when I start hitting 4” gongs from 300-600 yards with ease. When I tell them the gun is 57 years old they don’t know what to say.

Norway.375 and stonecreek like this.

2. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Welcome to the group. Your shooting with the Finnwolf is impressive. You'll find a lot of fellow Finnwolf fans here. I used to have one in .308 that would consistently put three shots in 3/4" (or less) at 100 yards. Sold it to a friend years ago, but I'm pretty sure the Finnwolf is the most accurate lever gun ever in series production anywhere.

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Great story on your Finnwolf. You may have miscounted the years you've owned it, however, since they didn't go into commercial distribution until the mid-1960's.

The Finnwolf is really a bolt action with a lever to operate the bolt. It locks up like a bolt action, has a solid receiver, and a one-piece stock. That's why it can be so stunningly accurate.

The Finnwolf was a "sleeper" for many years. Just in the last four or five years the market has suddenly "found" it and prices have jumped by nearly double.