New to Sako

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by Clifton Marter, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Clifton Marter

Clifton Marter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    Hello good people. I just inherited this absolutely beautiful Sako L579 Forester rifle from my grandfather. I've never seen him shoot it and didn't even know he had such a weapon. I know nothing of this brand of rifle, and truth be told, it's been 20+ years since I've been into shooting. Recently, my family and I have moved to a place where i can get into long range target shooting and hunting and I've found that I am in need of a new hobby. I am in the process of researching the when and wheres grandpa's rifle was born, but haven't found much as of yet. Wish me luck!

Attached Files:

ricksengines likes this.

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Welcome, Cliff.

Judging from the photo, your grandfather's rifle appears to be a Sako Model 72 -- but we would need more information on it like the markings, serial number, etc. to be certain. The Model 72's were introduced in 1972 and manufactured until supplanted by the Model 74. So, it probably dates to the early 1970's, but be aware that some Sakos stayed in the distribution chain for a very long time and if your grandfather was the original owner he could have purchased it quite a bit later. Your rifle's serial number is likely outside the range that the Club has factory records for, so its action production date will be impossible to determine.

You don't mention the caliber, but most L579's of that period were in either .243 or .308, with a few in .22-250.

Clifton Marter likes this.
  3. tripledeuce

tripledeuce Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    Recoil thru bolt would steer it to a .308.

misako50 and Clifton Marter like this.
  4. Clifton Marter

Clifton Marter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    Thank you for the response fellas. I talked more to my dad about it, and he told me grandpa purchased this beauty at Howard Brothers and it was in the early 70s. He wasnt very clear as far as the time frame, so I pulled the serial # 110636. It is a .308 and grandpa was the only owner. From what I've found so far, it's a '73 and a great gun. Range is max 800yrds from what I've read but I've got a good buddy that says itll do better then that. I've also found that it does best with 155 gr but we're gonna see about that. If you guys dont mind,what would yall recommend as far as projectlie/grain, as most the guys I know up here have heavily modified savages. Let me also apologize for the run on sentences, but I got alot going on and I'm pretty excited about this rifle.

5. lord frith

lord frith Member

Country Flag:
    Belize
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    Hi,
    Quite often run-on sentences are the most economical. Please, do not apologize. The all-time King of run-ons is Edgar Allen Poe. One could eat lunch and do the dishes between the initial cap and final period.
    Stephen

6. blackjack

blackjack Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Hello Sako People,

Does anyone know if Sako sold L461 " Deluxe " bottom metal for the S type trigger guard? I really like the Vixen face & tail motif. I'm renovating a L461 and as the stock is so pretty I thought I would enquire as to the availability of " Deluxe " bottom metal.
    Stay Safe and let us all wave goodbye to Covid 19! Our shops in England UK are opening tomorrow!

Blackjack

7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    BJ: I'm confused as to what your question is. The stylized fox was from the A-I era. Floorplates old enough to have the "s"-shaped magazine release would have mostly had the oak leaf pattern.

I'm unaware of Sako ever selling the Deluxe floorplates separately, although they may have furnished them for warranty work or on special order for replacements.

By the way, good luck with those "re-openings". "Re-openings" in the U.S. around Memorial Day (May 25) are manifesting in a marked upswing in covid infections and hospitalizations. Anyone with the rudimentary ability to add and subtract can see that there are more people with active infections right now than there were two months ago. So why is it safer to breathe in other people's exhaled air now than it was earlier? But why would we expect people to behave in a rational manner? If they were all rational then everyone would have Sakos and there would be no other kind of rifle.;)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    Murkula, FLT and northernlights like this.
  8. blackjack

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Sorry Steve,
    I did not know that the Vixen image was not made for the S type trigger guard. I do love the bottom metal images, but I don't really think I will find any " Deluxe " bottom metal for my rifle. To be really honest Steve I think Boris is opening up the UK far too soon. We have the largest infections of Covid 19 in Europe! What dreadful times we all live in at this time of our lives! Stay Safe.
    Blackjack

9. northernlights

northernlights Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    POLITICIANS and PRE-64 Lever Action WINCHESTERS are the 2 "hidden" answers to your musings there, Stone. Man-o'-man, it makes me gag to say "politicians" and "pre-64 Winchesters" in the same sentence. :eek: Think I'll make myself a strong drink.

dgeesaman likes this.
  10. blackjack

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Yes Please Northernlights, I'll have a very large " Highland Park 12 year old Viking Honour single malt scotch whisky " You are in New Hampshire USA and I am in Hampshire England UK - So " CHEERS " to Sako Lovers!
    Blackjack

11. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    The accurate range of a .308 depends on the twist and therefore the length of bullet it can stabilize in flight. Factory Sako barrels were generally optimized for the factory ammo of the time which means their twist rates don’t drive some of the newer high BC bullets available today. With high BC bullets a .308 can mark targets over 1000y.

12. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    OMG, Scotch. I never could acquire a taste for that stuff and stopped buying the stuff I could enjoy when they watered down the booze to 80 proof. That was a boon to the distillers because they watered down the booze and charged just as much or more for the stuff.

Fortunately I discovered Crown Royal Black. It is 90 proof and goes down smooth as silk.

Enjoy!

rick