New to me l61r in 30-06

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by Hunter25, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Hunter25

Hunter25 Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    Hello, just picked up this rifle yesterday for what I believe is a good price.
    Looking to see what I can find out about it.
    My third Sako which include an AV in 300 win Mag and a quad.
    Under 23000 serial number.
    Does have front sight with hood but no rear sight.
    Thank you
    20210830_113232.jpg 20210830_113212.jpg 20210830_113220.jpg 20210830_113228.jpg

2. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    It's a Deluxe grade L61R. The floorplate release tells us it's a relatively early version - later guns had a pushbutton. The design on the floorplate is known as a "Sakolope." It is the design most often found on vintage Deluxe rifles.

The Pecar scope is relatively little known in the US. It's a high-quality item. The only flaw is that, like all older scopes, it lacks the newest anti-reflection coatings and will therefore exhibit some flare when pointed toward the sun. It has a 26mm tube, not 1"(25.4mm). Hopefully it is mounted in 26mm rings, as squeezing a 26mm scope into 1" rings can cause damage. Your odds are pretty good that it has the correct rings; the scope is probably original to the gun and anyone who would seek out a scope like that probably knew the difference. The ring diameter, 25.4 or 26, is marked on the bottom of each Sako ring.

I'd suggest you post photos of the whole rifle, both sides. We can tell more about it by seeing the complete gun. And we all like to look at nice stock wood.

Hunter25 likes this.
  3. Hunter25

Hunter25 Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    Thank you,
    The rifle was purchased by an air force officer sometime in the 60's over seas somewhere. I bought the rifle from his son who is now 80 years old himself with no heirs to pass it on. The scope has been on it since new so I'm sure it had the correct rings.
    I also have a extra different reticle module for it as well.
    I will take a few more pictures this evening after work.
    I paid $800 btw but really have no idea it's value. I loved the rifle and the stories that go with it off which there are many.

4. Malcolm B

Malcolm B Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    I cannot offer any assistance with information but I can say that is a beautiful rifle. Congratulations.

5. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    That's a great story. It's good to know how your rifle got here and why it has the European scope on it. Sakos used to be widely available in PX's in Europe and were quite popular with GI's. One of the Sakos in my collection, a model not sold in the US, is a documented bringback. As you say, since the scope was fitted in Europe (most likely Germany), it should be in the correct 26mm rings. The spare reticle is interesting. As far as I know, Pecar was the only scope maker that ever had modular, user-changeable reticles. The modules are very seldom seen on this side of the Atlantic. I have a 4-10x Pecar scope on one of my Sakos, but I've never actually seen one of the reticle packs. If you have time, it would be nice to see a photo of it. Do you also have the instructions to change the reticle?

You got a deal on the price. I won't guess at specific value, but the rifle alone is worth more than the sale price and the scope and rings add to it. The rifle appears to have been very well cared for.

6. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Formerly known as bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Sweet looking early De Lux Finnbear! First or second year of production I’d guess.
    I must agree, a full photo session is in order!:D
    Bloo

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  7. Hunter25

Hunter25 Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    Ok, a few more photos fairly close up. Only a few blemishes on the stock both sides toward the rear. Not scratches but various indents.
    Included a couple pictures of the reticle module which has fine crosshairs but one appears frayed looking through it. Unfortunately no directions for installation. Current installed module has tapered crosshairs. 20210831_155849.jpg 20210831_155838.jpg 20210831_155815.jpg 20210831_155733.jpg View attachment 23839 View attachment 23840 20210831_155728.jpg 20210831_155725.jpg
    Package included the case, 6 old winchester rounds in a leather holder. And a rubber piece to protect your eye for the rear of the scope.
    The leather sling is as old as the rifle also but he may have had that special made.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    sakojim, Old Hippie and tripledeuce like this.
  8. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Wow!
    First, I must say you have a very attractive rifle!
    Second, I apologize for my miscalculation on the timeline, but second year production may still be possible as I feel things had began to move along a bit faster with Sako factory production in the early 60’s. I notice the checkering is slightly deeper in these early models, along with slimmer wrists on the grip area. The fit and finish during that period had really been perfected.
    Something else you can be very proud of is the condition of your recoil pad, it appears to be quite intact! Most have turned to mush by now…
    Expect to find it in your hands often, along with an unsettling desire to find another one similar, in yet another viable caliber!
    Welcome!

Bloo

sakojim and Hunter25 like this.
  9. dustinga

dustinga Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Really great looking rifle, in a great caliber, at a great bargain. Congrats. Enjoy

10. dustinga

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Had to go unpack the safe and check. I have the same caliber, configuration and condition within 460 of the your serial. But as we know, they could be years apart, production wise.

11. dustinga

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Ha! And a 270, same configuration, within 385 of your serial. Interestingly, both of mine have very dark wood, for a deluxe. Not as blonde as yours

sakojim, Hunter25 and Old Hippie like this.
  12. wombat

wombat Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Bloody Hell! That is really something..... you don’t see many around like that over here, well I haven’t !!!
    Lucky fellow, enjoy. Great pictures too.
    Jay

Hunter25 and Old Hippie like this.
  13. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Having a front sight on a Deluxe is a sort of validation that it came from a retail source in Europe, which would be consistent with being a military bring-back. Most Deluxes shipped to the U.S. had no front sight, while virtually all of those intended for the European market had front sights. A beautiful example of a 1960's Sako at a magnanimous price.

sakojim, Hunter25 and Old Hippie like this.
  14. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Stone, you have the coolest vocabulary!

Bloo

sakojim likes this.
  15. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Just to give you another snapshot on the made date for your rifle. I have several Deluxe L61's in the 130xx to 260xx serial number range that I had a record search performed on, and all were made in 1966. You got a good one.

16. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Wow!
    I was way off!
    Ok…second trimester! :D

17. Hunter25

Hunter25 Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    Little update, got the record search done.
    Makes sense as the seller believed his father bought it in 1968.
    Screenshot_20210901-080812_Outlook.jpg

Old Hippie likes this.
  18. Hunter25

Hunter25 Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    He informed me his father took at least 20 animals with this rifle. Not sure exactly where as he had other rifles also. He hunted several European countries. He only mentioned Germany for sure. Along with..., Libya, Iran. Not sure what time frame on those.

19. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    It is amazing for a rifle to be in that kind of condition after so many hunts, especially if some of them were to exotic locations. The owner must have been incredibly careful with his guns. You are indeed fortunate to have acquired that rifle.

20. Hunter25

Hunter25 Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    I'm not sure if this rifle went to the latter counties mentioned. But the man I bought it from said his father was very meticulous with the care of his rifles.
    My main hunting rifle. An AV 300 win Mag has hunted coues deer along the border in 100 degree heart and been snowed on in the arctic circle hunting caribou. You would never know from looking at it that it had ever left the house.
    If I slip my body hits the ground with the rifle on top. Lol
    It's all about how you value your firearms.

sakojim likes this.