New to me L579 Forester Deluxe .308

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by EarlB, Jun 12, 2019.

1. EarlB

EarlB Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Hi. Just joined. Posted up a bit about me on the New Members forum so won't get into that story again here - but I just acquired this (my first Deluxe) L579 Forester Deluxe for a steel at Cabelas. It's a pre 1968 rifle with Bofors steel barrel, no front or rear sights, and some sort of weird wide trigger - I'd say it's almost like a trigger shoe but its on with a pin - not sure if there is a regular trigger under there or if it is some sort of replacement trigger but I like it. It's much wider than the triggers on my pre-Garcia L61 Finnbears that my Uncle brought back from Germany but still light and crisp. The scope is a vintage Leopold M8-4X fixed 4x duplex. It has Sako rings. Like my Finnbears it's been used and hunted with over the last half century - but still nice condition. Cabelas had it priced a whopping $499 so of course I grabbed it and ran. It is MUCH lighter than the L61 Finnbears (30-06 and .270) that my Uncle brought back from Kaiserslautern Germany in 1969. I cannot begin to count how many animals my .270 Finnbear has accounted for over the last 50 years - I'm sure this .308 has a similar story.

Thanks,
    Earl

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    From a distance, it appears to be a standard Canjar trigger. A closer picture would help.

BTW......nice rifle.

3. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I only have one question. Did you kiss the guy at Cabela's that sold it to you for $499? What a deal. Some guys have all the luck. But seriously, looks like you got a great rifle and an unbelievable low price hunted or not.

rick

4. EarlB

EarlB Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thanks, will take one after getting home from work today. Earl

5. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    oh yeah. You got a great looking shooter there ! that's just a classic old .308 deluxe !, with all the character marks and all. I'm envious. Reminds me of my warhorse Sakos, one being a .222 L46 deluxe with like character, and then I have my old trusty sporters in .244, .270 and .30-06. All of them are banged up a bit, but I wouldn't trade that for anything!

congrats on your find, and thanks for sharing.
    DeerGoose

6. tripledeuce

tripledeuce Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    Great find! I'd run with it too, a twin to my .243.

7. Deanp100

Deanp100 Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    If I may, can I ask a question about foresters. I had a 22/250 and it was a beautiful gun but with a deal breaking fault. I am left handed and cycle right guns with my right hand, holding the pistol grip with my left. The cocking indicator would stab me in the skin beside my thumb like a harpoon, and I turned off the gun instantly . I thought all l579’s had this sharpened spear at the back of the bolt , but this one doesn’t appear to. What was the difference between them, as I would love an old 308 bolt sako that wouldn’t make me bleed.
    Cheers
    Deano

8. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The dreaded cocking indicator spear came along only very late in the L579 run and was actually associated with the successor A-II. Sako switched to a shrouded bolt for extra defense against escaped gas from a cartridge failure, theoretically to keep the gas from blowing straight back into the shooter's eye. That covered up the firing pin mechanism, so they hung the cocking indicator spear underneath as an extension of the sear piece. I am also a LH shooter and I truly dislike the gouging spear of these later models. The only purpose it serves is to show that the bolt is cocked. If you wanted to grind it off for your own personal use it would have no impact on the function of the rifle.

9. Deanp100

Deanp100 Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Cheers stonecreek. Thanks for the info.