new to me L57 in .244 Remington

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by Tracy Redpath, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Tracy Redpath

Tracy Redpath Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Just won ( if you can call it winning, still have to pay for it ) a L57 Sako in .244 Remington with beautiful Maple stock. Wont have the gun for a while as I just sent funds for it. Found New Deluxe set of Redding dies at my Gun/ Reloading store for $50 and scored 200 pieces of new 6mm Winchester brass for $22/50 pieces from Powder Valley. Will post pics when She shows up

deergoose likes this.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Sako did not produce any rifles with maple stocks. If it truly is maple, it is a custom aftermarket stock. It could be, however, a Deluxe model that has the blonde or French walnut stock that some people confuse as maple. 6mm Winchester?????? Pictures will tell us for sure.

3. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I saw this one on GB. t is definitely a custom jobberdo. Stock is aftermarket. It is nice and all the with stripes in the wood finish. Receiver has had an aftermarket barrel installed. Here is the description……...

'SAKO L57 IN 244 REMINGTON, RIFLE IS IN VERY NICE CONDITION, HAS 1 SMALL SCRACH
    ON THE BARREL OTHERWISE NO PROBLEMS, COMES WITH MAPLE STOCK WITH NOTHING
    WRONG. THE SCOPE IS A BALVAR 8A BY BAUSH LOMB . EARLY GUN SERIAL NUMBER IS 1562'

Notice no mention of the physical modifications that have been made. Receive has been drilled to accommodate the mount. Sold for $1200. If I was Tracy I would return it and wait for an unmodified L57 to come along. Too often these days unsuspecting buyers are getting sucked into buying what they believe to be a rare Sako only to discover that what they got was no bargain.

rick

4. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I saw that one as well. Let's just hope it's not the same rifle the OP is talking about. Seems a lot of first time posters tell us what they bought instead of asking what it is before they buy. One can buy an all original Sako for less than $1200. Only thing Sako is the action & that has been mutilated with drill holes.

5. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Hi Paul

Tracy's description fits it to a tee. And I agree that the customization work that has been done has taken all of the collector value out of the piece. Refer to my thread...….

What is the Effect on Value if Some Dinkberry Drilled a Dovetail Receiver

Nuff Said.

rick

6. Tracy Redpath

Tracy Redpath Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    I'm sorry you guys got triggered over the rifle I bought. I didn't figure the maple stock was original to gun. But that stock is why I bought it. Lighten up you guys

7. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Tracy please don't be upset with the posts. You bought what might have been at one time a very collectible rifle that was mutilated by unknowing persons for whatever reasons. (different strokes for different folks) It is now a very nice shooter and this is upsetting to serious Sako Collectors. Some of the comments imply that you payed to much for it. I feel that you did but if you are happy with it, that is all that counts. I have an all original good condition identical rifle with a three digit serial number that I paid less money for as a comparison. It is possibly the first produced in that rare caliber. Shoot it and enjoy it to the utmost. Sakojim.

8. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    I agree. You bought it as a shooter and not a collector. Knowing the stock was not original gives you more credit. Shoot and have fun.

9. Tracy Redpath

Tracy Redpath Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Thanks

10. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Please read your first post! It reads as if you had just bought a SAKO L57 in 244 Remington, not a custom rifle built on a Sako action. If you knew it was a custom and wanted it that is just fine and whatever you paid for it is between you and the seller, but at least be clear about it. The responses you got were based on what you conveyed, so what are we supposed to "lighten up" about. You're the one who provided the misleading information. After all this is the Sako "Collectors" site, so what else were we to think?

11. CVCOBRA1

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    This post has bothered me ever since it was made. Tracy never mentioned anything about the condition of his purchase when he made his original post. It simply had a nice stock that he liked so he bought it. You just assumed that it was in collectors condition on your own. Then it was mentioned by another member that it was on Gunbroker and again you had to chime in. Nothing positive by the way. Yes, this is Sako "Collector" Club forum but I consider it
    "anything" Sako. If you limited posts to just about collector grade rifles you wouldn't have three posts a week on here. I feel for Tracy because he may never make another post on this forum and I couldn't blame him for that one bit.

Furdown likes this.
  12. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Hi Folks

I think some clarification is needed here. I read the initial post and provided comments based on the seller's description of the .244. Lets review....

I saw this one on GB. t is definitely a custom jobberdo. Stock is aftermarket. It is nice and all the with stripes in the wood finish. Receiver has had an aftermarket barrel installed. Here is the description……...

'SAKO L57 IN 244 REMINGTON, RIFLE IS IN VERY NICE CONDITION, HAS 1 SMALL SCRACH
    ON THE BARREL OTHERWISE NO PROBLEMS, COMES WITH MAPLE STOCK WITH NOTHING
    WRONG. THE SCOPE IS A BALVAR 8A BY BAUSH LOMB . EARLY GUN SERIAL NUMBER IS 1562'

Notice no mention of the physical modifications that have been made. Receiver has been drilled to accommodate the mount. Sold for $1200. If I was Tracy I would return it and wait for an unmodified L57 to come along. Too often these days unsuspecting buyers are getting sucked into buying what they believe to be a rare Sako only to discover that what they got was no bargain.

My comments and recommendation were based on what I determined to be another seller that was hyping the model and caliber ('SAKO L57 IN 244 REMINGTON) and not providing a full and honest description of the rifle. In point of fact, we all know that a Sako L57 in .244 would command a fairly high price in todays market. I made the assumption that Tracy being new to the forum was really excited about his purchase but in good conscience I had to recommend that the rifle be returned because at the price point that he paid he was under water by several hundred dollars.

I was not considering collector value when I made my recommendation to return the rifle. It was based strictly on what Tracy was getting for his money. We know that a built rifle like this with the dovetails drilled has virtually no collector value. Considering that I placed a value on what Tracy purchased to be considerably less than what he paid. In my opinion to do anything less would be doing a disservice to any member bringing piece to the board in the condition and at the price point paid.

If Tracy really had his heart set on a .244 as a shooter I would have recommended he go with a 6mm given the problems that plagued early .244 rifles. Bullet stabilization and accuracy being of the utmost consideration.

I certainly didn't want to hurt his feelings. But felt obligated to provide an opinion that would at least be honest and enable him to make an informed decision to keep the rifle or not.

I hope this clarification helps to clear the air a bit.

rick

CVCOBRA1 likes this.
  13. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Some of us are (more or less) Sako collectors. Others of us are simply Sako "acquirers"; others still are only interested in the functional and shooting qualities of a Sako. We all buy Sakos for different reasons, and just as we're reluctant to place a price on a Sako without physically examining it, we should be equally reluctant to say whether someone paid too much or too little without knowing their reasons for buying it. A given Sako (whether factory or modified) will have a different value to different buyers. If it is worth $X to someone, then they've paid what it is worth to them and it is irrelevant what it is worth to someone else.

Congratulations to Tracy for acquiring his Sako, and welcome!

FLT and deergoose like this.
  14. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Here are a couple of Sako 244's. Someone might think they are Maple because the stocks are quite light colored, but they aren't Maple. The 244 in a Sako is rare even in the L-57, but extremely rare is the 244 in L579. I got both from the same guy...

DSCN5028.JPG DSCN5029.JPG thumbnail_IMG_4100.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4101.jpg

ricksengines and deergoose like this.
  15. CVCOBRA1

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    What kind of scope mount is on that L57? Doesn't look like a Kuharsky. Looks like a combination of mounts.

16. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Looks like some kind of European rail mount.

17. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Lovely- lovely rifles Kirk. My compliments. I did not know how fortunate I am to have one of each. I believe that yours are in better condition than mine though. I am curious about the relief on the rear top of the bolt- is that factory or after thought for scope bell clearance? Don't remember mine having that and too busy to look. Does the one have white line spacers for both the butte and grip? Sakojim.

18. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana

It is factory and the bolt has a noticeable sweep backwards as well. They both have the white spacers in grip cap and butt plate. Neither gun had been fired before I got them...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  19. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Factory. The early L579's had longitudinal grooves on the top of the bolt housing. It was soon changed to the finely checkered flat topped housing we're all familiar with. Notice also the half-moon magazine floorplate release inside the trigger guard. This was a holdover from the L57 that appears on early L579's, much like the bolt knob with the flat and checkered underside. Kirk's rifle also appears to have one of the early bolt handles which was more tightly curved than later handles. These can bump the ocular bell on some low-mounted scopes and may require either a higher mount or a smaller ocular bell.

deergoose likes this.
  20. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    A little over a year ago I posted this thread on the L579 .244 Rem that I got off of GB. Have a look and enjoy!

Let's talk about Sako L57 and L579 in .244 Rem

rick