6mmPPC New to Collectors Club

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Sagewind1951, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Sagewind1951

Sagewind1951 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    Hello all. I'm Norm, and I'm going to be looking for information from more experienced hands with Sakos. At this point I have a Coltsman .308 and an L461 .222 Remington that I've had for some years, and have performed well. I recently bought a pre-owned (reportedly not used) A5xx single shot 6mm PPC that is apparently going to take some sorting out. I'll also post in the 6PPC forum. The factory heavy barrel is marked 6mm PPC USA, the action Sako 6PPC A5xx, which as I understand it should be a non-neck-turn chamber. Factory 6mm PPC cases are currently made of unbotanium, apparently, so I have Lapua 220 Russian cases hydraulically formed. Necks measure .269 OD as formed in RCBS full-length sizing die and neck expanded, .270 OD with a Barnes 68 gr. Match Burner bullet seated. Neither will fully chamber. Cases sized but NOT neck expanded with a neck OD of .260 will chamber easily. The indicator "ring" in the tapered portion of a partially neck sized case (using die-makers blue) appears to be .262. A case neck-turned to .265 will also not chamber. I thought I understood that the Sako chamber neck was a larger diameter than the "benchrest" .262-neck specification. Any enlightenment would be appreciated!

2. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I don't recall any such problems with my PPC........BUT, it's a 22PPC.

So......to remove all doubt, I'd perform a chamber casting.....just to be absolutely sure.

Hope this helps.

3. Sagewind1951

Sagewind1951 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    Thanks Kevin. I may indeed have to do a cerrosafe casting, though I'm interested in what other 6PPC owners have found, if anything.

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Just a FYI. Your 6ppc single shot with the target trigger is built on an AI action. All the single shots used a special serial number system starting with either a A, B, or C followed by 3 digits. The 6 PPC's built in the repeater sporter configuration used the common AI serial number system. CIP specs show a .268" loaded neck diameter, so your chamber cast should show a .272" neck. Check your neck wall thickness. It should be .012" - .013". If your full length sized cases have a .269" neck diameter without the bullet, my guess is your neck walls need thinned. It is common when using 220 Russian brass to have to turn the necks. I would turn your sized & expanded necks down to .266"-.267" & see how that goes. Let us know what you find out. Good Luck! BTW, be aware that the USA case also has a larger body diameter near the base to prevent it from being chambered in a "tight" neck bench rest rifle, which your reformed Russian cases don't.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  5. Sagewind1951

Sagewind1951 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    Thanks for your clarifications. I did neck-turn one case to a neck diameter of .265 and it would still not chamber. As noted, sized necks without expanding at .259-.260 will chamber fully. I partially neck-sized one case, put die-makers blue on the neck and found the mark on the taper from .270 to .259 at about .262. I also marked one case fully with die-makers blue (with the sized/unexpanded neck) and did not have any scuff anyplace else on the case when it chambered, indicating no interference/friction on the case body or shoulder.
    The neck-turning mandrel on my tool is obviously made for fired cases, being .243 OD. I have a neck-turn chambered 6mm Remington Ruger No. 1, the reason I have a neck turning tool. Fortunately I have a Remington 600 in 6mm Rem. with a standard chamber to fire cases in before neck-turning and resizing in a custom RCBS die for the neck-turned cases. I may have to get a neck expander die/mandrel or a Wilson 6mm Neck Reamer to aid case prep for the 6 PPC.
    With the Lyman Bore Cam, the chamber neck reaming looks a little rough, so I may also rent a 6PPC reamer from 4D rentals and see if it needs cleaning up. It'll be a few days or so to do a chamber cast, as I need to order more Cerrosafe and order or make a longer-necked funnel. All my previous chamber casts were single-shots, so a short funnel worked OK for getting it into the chamber.
    I'll keep you posted as I proceed.

6. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    If your neck is indeed tighter than spec, I would just use a neck reamer, as a full reamer may cut into the shoulder area & destroy your headspace. I just find it hard to believe that Sako would have a tighter than normal neck as the only reamers they used were the USA type. How one rifle could slip through & end up with a tighter than spec neck is baffling. Your chamber cast will be interesting for sure!!

7. Sagewind1951

Sagewind1951 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    It will be. (the chamber casting). I'm baffled as well; all the other Sakos I've encountered were spot on in every regard (even if stocked by High Standard in the U.S.!). The .222 is a low 2's to high teens rifle on wind-free days, and the few belonging to others I know have all been beyond reproach. I particularly like Sako and CZ making scope mounting dovetails integral with the action. And those hard barrels that make re-boring all but impossible also contribute to apparent long life and better resistance to throat erosion.
    I'll have to see if a throat reamer is available to rent, I'd rather not buy a reamer for a single use. I've successfully hand-reamed a number of short-cambered barrels, and re-reamed the neck on a 40x single-shot that came to me with a neck-turn chamber I didn't want to deal with. It's pretty easy to feel when the reamer contacts the shoulder. I make a wood or nylon bushing for the reamer holder shank that fits inside the rear bridge, which in combination with a piloted reamer keeps everything square with the world.
    Cerrosafe is on order, along with a funnel top, which I'll solder onto a piece of 3/8" copper tubing to make up the longer funnel. Thanks again for your observations and thoughts.

susanna likes this.