New scope

Discussion in 'Sako Mausers, Hi-Powers and Magnum Mausers' started by b75cj5, Jul 22, 2019.

1. b75cj5

b75cj5 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    i purchaced a news scope 6-24x50 With a 30 mm tube. I really want to mount it directly to the dovetail mount with out adding a base. Where do I find mounts to fit both scope and rifle?

2. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Sako Optilock 30mm Low ringmounts will most likely be too low for the 50MM objective lense. For whatever reason there are no 30mm mediums listed anywhere. The low Optilock ringmounts didn’t work for me with a Swarovski 50mm objective.

I used Leupold high ringmounts and it works perfectly. Unfortunately you’re options are very limited because of the maintube and objective size unless you are willing to go to a base and ring set up, Leupold’s should be available on eBay as well as several other sites. Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  3. b75cj5

b75cj5 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Thank you I will give a look in the morning

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Are you sure you want to mount your Sako underneath a telescope half the size of the one on Mount Palomar? What is your intended use and why do you believe you need such high magnification and an outsized instrument?

5. b75cj5

b75cj5 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    I was curious to see what I could do with it and the price was right.

6. northernlights

northernlights Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    Good reason! Good shooting. Hope you share some targets here.

7. b75cj5

b75cj5 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Has any one used Talley scope mounts or bases? If so how do you like them?

8. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I used to have what I believe to be Talley mounts and rings on an old FN-Sako. (These mounts were on the rifle when I got it and are not marked, but I'm pretty sure they are Talley.) These mount directly to the FN action; I have never used the Talley mounts for Sako dovetails. The mounts worked very well for me. They held a zero and returned to zero when you removed and replaced them. I did have to grind the lever on the front ring because it didn't clear the action. They did not allow a view of the iron sights when the scope was removed, negating one of the usual advantages of QD mounts. I was able to get around this problem by filing a notch in the rear mount. Here are a couple of photos. 300 Old Scope Mounts 3.JPG

300 Old Scope Mounts 1.JPG

Attached Files:

9. b75cj5

b75cj5 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    I used Leupold high ring mounts. They worked great Sighted them in myself, dead on. Oh I can see the rover on Mars. |:^)