• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

New Sako pistol owner

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Klasta

Good day gentlemen,

I recently acquired a Sako target pistol with a .22lr barrel at a gunshop that clearly did not know what he was selling. Based on information I found on this and other sites, I'm assuming it's a 22-32 (flat top barrel frame, trigger stop screw) but I admit that I'm not 100% certain, as the only official information I could find about Sako's target pistols makes it seem like there's only the TriAce.

The only thing that bothers me, is the grip. It's a bland, non-adjustable, ill-fitting aftermarket one (which might explain why the gunshop didn't really look into it's value).

I already found a few places that still makes (seemingly decent) aftermarket grips for what seems to be this version, which got me wondering. If grips are still being made for it, over 30 years after it's production, wouldn't that imply that a lot of owners might have the stock grips just lying around? (Should anyone reading this be interested in selling his, hit me up!)

Either way, if anybody could point me in the direction of some literature specifically about this pistol, I would be very thankful!

Attachments

• Sako pistol.jpg
    Sako pistol.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 46
From my understanding, Sako only ever made one handgun, and that was the Triace. That is what you have there.
I found a operators manual online
Thanks for the info! I did indeed come across that manual as well and am unable to find one for another Sako handgun. I initially came to the same conclusion! When I bought it, I even assumed it was a TriAce until a few days ago when one of the custom grip retailers required me to specify my model of Sako pistol and mine better fit the description of the "not triace but not otherwise specified" Sako handgun.

After some more digging last night, I did find a pdf specifying serial ranges (I'd link it but the forum doesn't allow me to do that yet) which confirms that they also made a handgun called the 22-32, which fits the serial range on mine while also confirming some other posts on this forum and online online resources. It also lists a pistol called the Finnmaster with a serial number range of only 170 which seems to be a .22 single shot handgun made for the free pistol competition! It's also posted on their Finnish domain, so it's not some weird importer naming scheme either.

There just seems to be even less info on the 22-32 than the little there is on the TriAce.

Well I learned something then. I was only aware of the triace.
It appears the 22-32 and the triace are very similar and looks almost the same. Seems from what I saw someone say, the grip angle is slightly different between the two as well as a "few small internal parts".
That finnmaster is quite a different looking beast.
Thanks for this thread as I now know more that I did before.

Shows my ignorance, Where in Belguim are you? I thought owning handguns in europe was extremly diffucult, if not impossible?

I've visited your country a few time, in and out of Germany, wonderful people, Beautiful train ride in the country.

I'm assuming it's a 22-32 (flat top barrel frame, trigger stop screw)
I can confirm that is a 22-32, predecessor to the Triace. Most notable difference is the magazines. Triace has a plastic magazine base plate while 22-32 has full metal magazine, and they aren't interchangeable. Triace has a frame mounted ejector while 22-32 ejector is a tab on the magazine left feed lip.

Another distinctive feature is the bottom of the trigger guard. On triace it is milled parallel to the bore, on 22-32 it is angled.

There are more smaller details, but those two are the most easy to spot in almost any picture.

I’d add to visible distinguishing features that the TriAce has a longer under-lug ahead of the trigger guard (to help counter a potential for the conversion to rock on the locating screw - there is an internal adjusting screw at the front end of the extended lug to take up any slack) and a continuous rib along the top of the conversion from front to back sight (not sure of it's benefit - might be just cosmetic).

A lot of 22-32s that come on the used gun market are mis-labeled as TriAces but armed with the above knowledge the particular type can be easily distinguished.

Bob

Back