Sako New sako owner

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by John Ebelt, Jun 30, 2020.

1. John Ebelt

John Ebelt Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Hello all. Just picked up a sako at a gunshop that I found interesting and the price was right.. It's a l579 with a Douglas barrel in 250-3000 savage and has a beautiful fajen stock.. Serial number is 898xx. I'm guessing about 1970.. Would this be considered pre garcia? Any info would be great... I have quite a collection of rifles I'd love to share if anyone one wants to hear about them.. Thanks all!!

2. John Ebelt

John Ebelt Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
  3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Congrats on your purchase. I've always fancied having an L579 in .250 Savage myself.

As to whether it is "pre-Garcia", well, that's pretty much academic and irrelevant. There was absolutely no difference in "pre-Garcia" (Firearms International imports ending about mid-1971) and "Garcia"-imported (1971-1978) Sako L579 actions. Some "pre-Garcia" Foresters had slimmer stocks and barrels (those made before about 1969), but since your rifle has neither factory stock nor barrel this wouldn't apply regardless of when it was made or imported. A Forester rifle before about mid-1968 would have had a Bofors Steel-marked barrel, but again, the only difference in those not marked "Bofors Steel" was the lack of a mark.

Very early L579's used a one-piece bottom metal and magazine box, but this feature was dropped long before serial numbers in the 80,000's were being used.

If you are curious about its actual date of manufacture (and whether it originally left the factory as an action-only or as a finished rifle) you can get the information by contacting the Club's factory records service at http://sakocollectors.com/store/

Rogan Kinnear likes this.
  4. northernlights

northernlights Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    Welcome to the SCC Forum, John. I'll bet your 250-3000 is lights out!

Always interested in hearing about other people's collections especially with photos.

5. John Ebelt

John Ebelt Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Right now in my modest collection I have the sako mentioned above... A weatherby lazermark in 300 weatherby unfired as new... A mauser 93 sporter I just picked up.. A mint remington 7400 30/06.. A Savage a17... A remington nylon 77 made in 1970 with the stickers still on it and the 5round mag.. A 1977 rem speedmaster.. Steven's model 25 22lr.. Hatfield 20 GA auto.. Remington 1100 12 GA... Dpms g2 308 topped with redfield battlezone scope.. Radical firearms ar 15... Aero precision 6.5 grendel ar pistol.. Kel-tec sub 2000 in 40 cal. My 10/22 I got as a kid.. And my 1935 model 63 winchester 22 with the 20 inch barrel IMG_20200629_221916155.jpg IMG_20200629_221916155.jpg IMG_20200620_201203102.jpg IMG_20200620_200144486.jpg That's the rifles. Pistols are another story. Lol

Attached Files:

Rogan Kinnear likes this.
  6. Wayne

Wayne Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arkansas
    Welcome John, That is quite a varied collection even without the handguns. Thanks for sharing. Wayne

7. John Ebelt

John Ebelt Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    I added to it today with a cheap mossberg plinkster and a panzer arms bp-12 bullpup 12 gauge