New Pictures of some Pre72 Deluxe Sporters

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by douglastwo, Apr 4, 2020.

1. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    With all this down tine, I thought I'd take some new pictures of a few of my Deluxe Sporters. I've had all but a couple of these 30 or more years and it's been 5 to 10 years since I've posted pictures of these. They're all Bofors marked except the 25-06 and the 375. All but 4 (the 22-250, 25-06, 300 win. mag and the 375 H&H) have square tang and S shaped release. Here's a little more info:

1. The picture showing 5 Finnbears from left to right: 264 with moose FP and 26" barrel; 25-06 with 3 lug was in the first shipment of Deluxe 25-06 to the US; a 270; another 270 and a 300 H&H with the barrel marked 300 Mag.

2. The picture showing 4 Finnbears from left to right: 264 with buffalo FP and 26" barrel; 300 win. mag; 375 H&H with 3 lug and a serial number of 448xx; 264 with 24" barrel, a Sakolope FP and a Leupold 4.5x14.

3. The picture showing 4 Foresters from left to right: 22-250; 244 completed April 1961; a 308; and a 243.

4. The picture showing 3 Vixens from left to right: 222 mag. Leupold with 3x9 compact; a 222 and a 223.

Finnbears 1of2.JPG Finnbears 2of2.JPG Forester.JPG Vixen.JPG

cl_leg, ricksengines, susanna and 9 others like this.

2. Branxhunter

Branxhunter Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Nice.

I’ll have the second .270 (pic 1), the .375 (pic 2), the .243 (pic 3), and the .223 (pic 4).

I’m a sucker for nice wood.

Marcus

3. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    How do you shoot those guns without scopes?

4. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    What? Have I not told one of my favorite hunting stories? Here goes, about 50 years ago (48 to be exact) I got an invite to hunt Texas mule deer on a huge ranch with a reputation as being covered up with big mulies. I had just started my career in the pipeline construction business and this deer lease was made up of the various contractors in the business. There were about 35 guys that owned or ran a pipeline construction company, trucking contractors, road bore company, and others etc that leased this ranch for hunting. The land owner allowed a total of 50 hunters, so these guys got to invite about 15 lucky souls. I was a lucky one. It was always a three day hunt that started Friday after Thanksgiving day. My work resulted in me either knowing or knowing of most of the 50. They hunted this ranch by driving around all day glassing for deer and then trying to sneak up on any deer they thought was a shooter. There was usually 2 - 4 guys in each vehicle. One fun thing they did was everyone chipped in $3 for a $150 pot ( remember this was 1972 so $3 would get you the best room in a nice motel) to be won by the guy that shot the deer with the widest outside spread, measured anyway. The winning deer was always over 30". The morning we were going to start I was all excited because I was picked to hunt with the guy (Joe) that had won the pot 2 years in a row. So we left camp in the dark in an open jeep and drove to a high vantage point and waited for the sun to come up. When daylight was close, we unzipped our gun cases to load our guns and get them ready. When Joe pulled his gun out of the case it was a slick barrel 300 WM Sako Deluxe Sporter…..and I mean slick barrel ! no front or rear sight and no scope. I said, Joe did you bring the wrong gun? He said no, I said how do you expect to shoot a deer with that. He said, I have won the pot the last 2 years with it. So we started hunting. After missing two bucks later that morning, Joe said, can I borrow your gun for the next deer I find to shoot at? Of course we found Joe a nice buck a couple hours later, and I handed him my gun. He shot and nailed it, but with a 22" spread, it did not win the 3rd pot for him. So, to answer your question, I could do like Joe and with lots of luck, get one. But I prefer scoped guns for hunting.

kevinlg likes this.
  5. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    One heck of a bore sighter with the bolt still in it......