New/old sako AV

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by LR_Guru, Oct 25, 2021.

1. LR_Guru

LR_Guru Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    So some history about the gun. I’m looking to purchase this rifle from a family friend. It was one at an auction many years by her husband. He put a leupold scope on it then passed away. It’s never been fired or taken out of the safe. It’s chambered in 338 win mag. She’s asking 1500 but neither of us know the true realistic value of the rifle. She’s not left handed nor is her new husband but I of course am. I’ve never owned a left handed gun so I’m kinda eager to buy one

Attached Files:

gowyo likes this.

2. bigcountry4me

bigcountry4me Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Looks like a nice clean AV with a nice Leupold 3-9 period scope and ringmounts. Honestly a tad high in price wise for the package, but not by a large amount. Perhaps $150-$250 depending on market factors. Obviously left hand versions are more difficult to locate, so if you really want a fine rifle then the price may be inline. Comparable rifles online may show a higher asking price but they typically do not sell quickly. It’s sometimes difficult to negotiate based on the facts of the given situation but if you feel there’s some room then make a responsible offer. But even at $1500 it’s not completely unreasonable. Hope this helps. Welcome to the forum.

LR_Guru likes this.
  3. LR_Guru

LR_Guru Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    Thank you! I was going to offer 1200

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    At $1,200 neither of you would get cheated, at least in one man's opinion.

LH rifles can bring a premium if you can find an enthusiastic buyer and it is in the caliber he needs/wants. On the other hand (no pun intended), a LH rifle can sit for a very long time before someone comes along who wants it. If she were to put it on the open market instead of selling it to you then she could expect it to potentially take quite a while to sell, she would have to deal with tire-kickers, and perhaps pay fees or a commission to get it sold. All of that makes $1,200 from you a good deal for her, even if someone sometime might give a bit more.

Several dealers I know won't stock a LH bolt rifle or even take one in trade because they tend to move so slowly.

LR_Guru likes this.
  5. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Beauty! Awesome timber too. Buy it, you won't regret it. Ask about ammo, components...

6. Bucktote

Bucktote Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hi guys,
    If Stonecreek knows any dealers that may not want lefty Sakos he can send inquiries to me !! I would be honored to talk to them. Like Mr Guru I never had a left hand rifle but I am not too old to buy one if its the right look & Cal.
    Left eyed, but right handed conservative.
    B/T