Sako Finland New old rifle

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Famous Shoes, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Famous Shoes

Famous Shoes Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Picked up a Sako High Power FN Mauser in .30-06 from a friend, who inherited it from his dad but had never used it. His dad got it new in the 1950's from a gun shop in Houston to hunt Texas whitetail. It has a vintage Leupold Pioneer 4X scope with the external windage and elevation adjustments in the mounts. Bluing is probably 90 per cent (even under the stock) and the bore looks good. Only the bolt has suffered from its long disuse-- it appears to have been chromed, and the chrome has peeled in several places. Internals all seem to be working, though, with the trigger breaking crisply at 3 pounds. I'm hoping to use it for a cow elk hunt this fall if all's in order. It's definitely not a svelte little mountain rifle. Still have to get it out and shoot it, and I'm just hoping the scope will still hold zero. I'll let you know how it goes.

I joined the group to get history to add to the provenance of the rifle, and have enjoyed browsing the site. I'm a northern Arizona boy, drawn to the high country for its year-round outdoor opportunities. This upcoming hunt should challenge this aging body, with elevations ranging from 8,500 to 12,000 feet within the hunt unit. I'll definitely have some work on my hands if I get one down up there.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    We love pics of those old High Powers!!!

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I own an Sako-FN .30-06, and it is amply accurate.

There were two versions of this rifle. The earlier version used an FN trigger with a wing safety on the bolt. The later version (post-1957) used a Sako #4 trigger with a sliding trigger safety on the RH side behind the bolt handle. Calibers distributed in the U.S. were .270, .30-06, .300 H&H, and .375 H&H. There were some additional calibers like 8x60 and maybe some other metrics which were not imported to the U.S. They were made from the early 1950's until superseded by Sako's own L61R long action in 1961, but a few continued to be shipped from the factory for a couple of more years in the early 1960's. All I've seen were serial numbered on the barrel with numbers between 100,000 and about ~112,000 or so.

4. Famous Shoes

Famous Shoes Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Yes, this is the version with the wing safety. Interestingly, I had bought an FN Mauser with a shortened stock for my wife several years ago, and the two rifles are almost dead ringers. I didn't realize how similar they are until I pulled her gun out to compare. Hers is missing the front sight hood, and the bolt is prettier. The bluing on mine is better. Hers has the wing safety on the right, mine has it on the left. Both are .30-06, and both have a red recoil pad. I wonder if Sako did a run of the chrome bolts and red rubber recoil pads for the export market at that time. The book says the bolts are supposed to be in the white, and the recoil pads are supposed to be black. When I get a few minutes I'll pull hers from the safe and get pictures of both to post here.

5. Famous Shoes

Famous Shoes Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I may be bolluxing this up, but I’ll attach my pics to the thread I started. Turns out my wife’s rifle is not a Sako— it’s an FN M89 made in Belgium. 23-inch barrel versus 24-inch barrel on the Sako High Power. Bolt is in the white rather than chromed on the Sako. Crowns on barrels are different, too. 0D6213B8-1957-4898-8EAD-F913AB411055.jpeg 27D49E7E-44A3-436E-BA7C-8532F100B6FD.jpeg 5D53A3EA-337A-4A6E-BB1B-6ACB79137C61.jpeg

6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Both nice looking rifles. The Browning Safari is a direct descendant.

7. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Your FN-Sako in .30-06 differs from mine in two areas. First, mine has a ladder rear sight while yours has the two-leaf flip sight that I've usually seen on the Magnum versions. Second is the recoil pad; mine has a black plastic buttplate. Does your pad say Sako on it? If not, it's probably an aftermarket item. I've seen factory pads on the .300 and .375 Magnum FN-Sako rifles, but never on a non-magnum caliber like .30-06.

Here's a photo of my .30-06, which as far as I know is all factory original. The upper rifle in the picture is a custom FN-Sako in .300 H&H. Note the two-leaf express sight. 2 Rifles .JPG

8. Famous Shoes

Famous Shoes Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    You're right about the recoil pad, I'm sure. It's a Pachmayr. My friend insists that his dad had the rifle custom-built. I suspect the recoil pad and perhaps the barrel crown (and the chromed bolt?) are the only custom features, but I won't get into it with him.

A very pretty pair of rifles you have there.