Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Emptysea, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Emptysea

Emptysea Member

Country Flag:
    South Africa
    State/Region:
    other
    Greetings from the Eastern Cape, South Africa. I was overjoyed to find a forum like this for the fantastic weapons from Sako. I own 2, one being a .308 bolt action the other A VL63 also .308.

2. Wayne

Wayne Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arkansas
    Hi, we are overjoyed to have a new member like yourself, from South Africa. You can find anything you want about Sakos here, by reading or asking questions of the members. Enjoy, Wayne

3. Emptysea

Emptysea Member

Country Flag:
    South Africa
    State/Region:
    other
    Hi Wayne, thanks for the welcome! At the age of 64, this is the first forum I have ever joined, so still finding my way with site navigation etc. Reckon I'd be called a "newbie" Haha.
    A bit of background: Born in Rhodesia, my family lived in the bush close to a leper hospital for the indigenous people. Started shooting at a very young age with a .22 (Heym), still have it! On the death of my Aunt's husband (who lived in Port Elizabeth RSA), the family moved to RSA. I'm still working as an automotive electrician in my own business (also fix my mates fleet of old warbirds - I was a aircraft electrician in the SAAF as a youngster). If you are aware of the movie "Ford v Ferrari" those "Ford" cars are made by my cousin Jimmy Price who also builds Shelby's cobras (Superformance). I designed and modernised the wiring systems for them, also all the other vehicles they produce. I'm busy finalising a modernised harness for their latest project which is a'67 '68 Mustang.
    Hope this diatribe falls within the forums rules!
    Mark

northernlights, FLT and susanna like this.
  4. northernlights

northernlights Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    Mark, welcome to the SCC Forum. You have quite an interesting resume/background! Glad you joined us and I look forward to your posts.

5. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Rhodesia! That brings back memories. I visited Rhodesia two or three times in the mid-70's before it became Zimbabwe. Went to Vic Falls, the game park at Wankie, Zimbabwe ruins, Salisbury and I forget where else. I was a very junior diplomat stationed in Nairobi at the time, and I had to get an extra passport because we weren't allowed to travel to Rhodesia, which was under sanctions at the time. A friend asked me what if I get caught? My reply, "What are they going to do, send me to Africa? I'm already here." Actually, Nairobi was quite pleasant, although even then there was a fair amount of violent crime. I enjoyed Rhodesia throughly and liked the people I met there. I timed my last visit for the full moon so I could see the "moonbow" over the falls. Naturally, it was overcast the whole time so I didn't get to see the moonbow. I've also been to South Africa several times back in the same time frame. Even got to Port Elizabeth once, but I just flew in, picked up a hire car, and set out on the Garden Route. Stopped at Oudtshoorn and rode an ostrich. The trick to riding an ostrich is, you hook one leg behind the wing and let the other hang free, so you can bail out quickly if the ostrich bolts or whatever. Made it to Cape Town, took the cable car up the mountain for the view and a walk around the botanical garden. A day or two later, took the Blue Train back to Joburg. I'll never forget that train ride. We pulled out of Cape Town at noon, then almost immediately went to lunch in the dining car. Had a big, rare, succulent steak with a glass of red wine, as the train wheeled past vineyards that could have been where the wine came from. Fabulous.

I've thought about getting a Rhodesian FAL or building one from a parts kit. DSA is making receivers with RA serial numbers and the hole drilled in the side to disguise the country of origin, just like the originals. A lot of the RA rifles wound up in the US as parts kits, some with the camo paint still on them. I managed to pick up a Halbeck muzzle device at a reasonable price last month; now all I need is the rest of the gun.

In the meantime, I have a DSA Game Ranger FAL for amusement. It's a commercial version of the FAL's DSA has built for the South African and Kenyan anti-poaching forces, with a green finish and a rhino head engraved on the receiver.

You mention Ford racing cars. My family was on the "other" team. My father was the chief engine designer for Chevrolet and worked closely with Zora Arkus-Duntov. I knew Zora slightly; he was, to say the least, a character.

Anyway, all this is by way of welcome and, hopefully, making you feel at home. We have several members in South Africa, but as far as I know you're our first authentic "Rhodie." Welcome to Sako Land.

Here are some photos. The T-shirt is new; I found it on eBay. I have an original Rhodesian Tourist Board shirt with an elephant holding a "Rhodesia is Super" banner in its trunk, but I can't find it at the moment. You may recognize the book of cartoons from the war. I also have two books of Van der Merwe jokes that I brought back from South Africa.

Air Rhodesia Shirt.JPG Fun In The Forces002.jpg

Game Ranger 1.JPG Rhino Head.JPG