• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

New member Sako AV Featherweight

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Chase521

I am a new member who currently owns two Sako rifles. I know very little about them, so I apologize for my ignorance. My first Sako was an unfired still in the box Finnbear Deluxe in 7mm.

The one I am asking about, however, is one I just purchased, also in 7mm with a Leupold 3.5-10X scope. This one is a shooter, as it has a few minor wear marks on the nicely figured stock. It is marked AV, serial # 59XXXX with a stamp or proofmark behind it. I believe it may have been made in the mid-1980’s. Aside from the barrel indicating Sako Cal 7mm Rem Mag Made in Finland with the same proofmark, I did not see any other markings on the barrel or action. I did not remove the stock to look for additional markings. The grip cap indicates Feather Weight Model. It has a rosewood forend, with traditional and not skip-line checkering. In my brief research, I cannot find a Featherweight listed in the Sako line. Does anyone have any information or an opinion on this? Was there a featherweight model, or could this be an aftermarket stock or grip cap? I attached a few low-resolution photos.

Thanks in advance.

New member Sako AV Featherweight New member Sako AV Featherweight New member Sako AV Featherweight

Feather Weight Model
Some additional photos of the entire rifle would be helpful. Please include the back of the pad, and the checkering pattern.

Sako did not build or catalog a “Feather Weight” rifle. It’s possible the rifle is a Classic model with an added metal grip cap along with the contrasting fore tip.

The Sako Classic had a contrasting wood grip cap but did not have a contrasting fore tip. If you search for a Classic here on the forum you will see what I mean.

It’s possible it’s a Sako Classic with some add ons - or it’s an AV in a custom stock.

Here is an AV Classic which recently sold on GI. They were also available in the AIII action.

Thank you for confirming there was no featherweight, along with possibilities. Attached are a few more pictures (apologize for low resolution). I wonder if I have an action/barrel with perhaps a different stock and/or trigger. As you will see, the recoil pad does not say Sako, and the safety is different than what is on my Finnbear. It looks like Timney made a drop-in trigger for the Sako AV with the same style safety as I have.

**I apologize for the cluttered background- I wanted to get a few quick pictures before I had to leave. New member Sako AV Featherweight New member Sako AV Featherweight New member Sako AV Featherweight .

Great information, Stonecreek! Thank you! I knew something wasn’t adding up and it was bugging me.

The gun belonged to a guy who worked at a local gun shop and recently passed away. We believe this was one of his go-to guns and that he used it to successfully hunt elk and bear. We had similar taste in guns and I’m proud to own it, even if it wouldn’t have much appeal to a collector. I will hunt with it in honor of his memory.

Chase521, very nice Hunting rifle.
How long is the barrel, and what is the weight of the package with NO ammo in it?
I have an AV in .30/06 and would be interesting to compare the weight.
Jay

Thanks Jay. My wife and I are away for the weekend, but I’ll let you know the measurements and weight next week. It definitely is not a featherweight.

Chase521, very nice Hunting rifle.
How long is the barrel, and what is the weight of the package with NO ammo in it?
I have an AV in .30/06 and would be interesting to compare the weight.
Jay
JAy, with the 3.5-10x Leupold scope attached, I got an unloaded weight of 9-lbs. That’s a little lighter than what I expected, so I’m not sure of the scale’s accuracy. I didn’t measure the barrel, but it looks like 22”.

JAy, with the 3.5-10x Leupold scope attached, I got an unloaded weight of 9-lbs. That’s a little lighter than what I expected, so I’m not sure of the scale’s accuracy. I didn’t measure the barrel, but it looks like 22”.
A few weeks ago I weighed an AV with a 3.5-10x Leupold on it and it came out just a hair under 9# so your scale is most likely OK.

Hi chase521, yep, I also agree, 9.0 lbs. it is.
For a hunting rifle that is a good weight to manage, and great all round calibre.
* I recently sold my L61R in 7RM, and had rebarrelled a Win Mod 70 C/Featherweight to 280AI, 24” barrel, same velocity, less powder, less recoil, Accurate, less muzzle blast……
and 1 3/4 lbs. Lighter than the 7RM.
If performance to weight ratio is a goal, and mountain hunting is the go, sometimes? an “improved” cartridge can give you a slight edge.

Latest posts

Back