New Member, New Sako!

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by XTrooper, Aug 23, 2019.

1. XTrooper

XTrooper Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I'm a new member of this forum and here's why. This is the first Sako rifle I've owned since I bought an L461 Vixen in .222 Remington almost fifty years ago. :)
    My new Sako is a Bavarian Carbine in .308 Winchester. In keeping with its light and compact design, I am going to mount a Steiner GS3 2-10x42 scope on it as soon as it arrives. This model GS3 is 13.5" long and weighs 18 oz so it should be a good fit while still having decent capabilities.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

deergoose and RifleNutPPC like this.

2. Hillcountry

Hillcountry Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    Welcome Xtrooper,

That is a beautiful Sako Bavarian Carbine in .308 Winchester! I what is the action called? Equal to a L61R?

XTrooper likes this.
  3. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Nice looking rifle. It's a Sako 85, yes? I've thought about getting one of those in 6.5 Swede. I have that same Steiner scope on my Steyr SSG-69 PII sniper rifle. It's an excellent piece of glass, very sharp, bright and clear. I'm told the lenses are imported from Germany and it's assembled in the USA by Burris, but that's secondhand information. Let us know how it shoots.

Hillcountry and XTrooper like this.
  4. XTrooper

XTrooper Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Thanks, Hillcountry! It's a Sako 85 S (small) action. I'm not familiar with the L61R so I can't say if it's comparable or not.

5. XTrooper

XTrooper Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Thanks, icebear! Yes, you're correct. It's a Sako 85. Glad to hear that it's a decent scope. This will be my first Steiner. Previously, I've always purchased mostly Leupold and a handful of Burris scopes, but neither had what I was wanting for this rifle. I got the one with the 4A reticle which is basically a German #4. I do know this model Steiner is manufactured in the US so it could very well be Burris assembling them.
    I sure will. I'm taking it out tomorrow to wring it out with its iron sights which are pretty nice as far as non-peep irons go.

6. XTrooper

XTrooper Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    With Steiner scope mounted. I used Sako ringmounts which eliminate the separate bases. Regarding the Burris/Steiner connection, I recently learned that they, along with Sako, are owned by Beretta.

[​IMG]