New member needs help- Long time owner, 6mmPPC

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Zaptherio, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Zaptherio

Zaptherio Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Hi All, First time here. I've owned the Sako single shot in 6mm PPC since I think the year it came out in the 80s? I bought it new. It's been so long, and I lost the box years ago, that I'm not sure just what the model name was. I've had a Leupold 12x on it forever and now am looking to replace it with an old but still good Leupold 36x. My problem is, I'm having a tough time taking off the ring screws. They must be made of soft metal or something because even with my matched screw driver blades, they'd rather deform than rotate out. I'd take a dremel to them if I knew where to find replacement rings. I've never seen a scope base mounting system like it before (at least not since I attached the scope onto the gun with the supplied bases over thirty years ago) that's like that. The front base is wider than the rear base, and they're somewhat tapered, and they,re both integral to the short action. They both have that large thumb screw to tighten the clamp onto the action rail sections. Maybe this is how all Sakos operate? This is the only one like it that I've seen.
    Can somebody help me? What are these rings/bases called. Are replacements easily available.

2. northernlights

northernlights Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    Welcome to the SCC Forum!

A photo would help greatly and you'll get all the advise and help you need.