New member intro - keen deer hunter for past 40 years, more than 15 Sakos

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Robert Davies, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Robert Davies

Robert Davies Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK England
    Hi folks,
    Great to find a forum of like minded enthusiasts, I have a Sako addiction, started with my .270 Finnlight 75, then I got a Quad, then a 591 in 22-250, M995 in .300WM, .243 A2 stutzen, I do have other rifles but not so many as my Sako - I just love the quality. I Hunt Deer & Boar with my .300WM and .270, 591 is for Foxes and is superbly accurate with a custom Border barrel. I hope to learn even more about this fantastic line of firearms.

Rob Davies

2. sourdough44

sourdough44 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wisconsin
    Very nice collection. Welcome.

3. Robert Davies

Robert Davies Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK England
    All L61R AIV Sako Safaris were all produced in 1980 - 17,500 approx produced in 3 calibers only: .300 Win Mag, .300 HH, & .375 H&H - I know because I bought one today and did some research beforehand - top quality wood and hand finished, safari open sights, single cross bolt

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Welcome, Robert! Nice to have some more Limey's on board.

You've been provided incomplete information on the Sako A-IV Safari. There was not .300 H&H chambered. But in addition to those you listed there was also a .338 Winchester Magnum, a 9.3x62, and, if hazy memory serves, also a .416 Rem Magnum. The Club's factory records cut off before the introduction of the A-IV, but I suspect they were made in more than just 1980 although I can't say for sure. The Safari model brings a premium price when offered on the market here.

Probably the most distinguishing feature of the A-IV action was its "drop" or "swan belly" magazine which held five rounds of any belted magnum caliber, giving the rifle a capacity of 6 shots when an additional round is in the chamber.

In what part of the country are you located? Do you sell any of your venison in the commercial market? I wasn't aware that there was a huntable population of boars in Britain, or do you hunt those on the Continent?

5. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Oops. Just reread the title of the thread. So, are you in Germany or in the U.K. as noted on your icon?

6. Robert Davies

Robert Davies Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK England
    Checked the sako official serial numbers and they only seem to apply for 1980, Its definitely the Safari model in .300 Win Mag
    L61R Safari Stamping AIV 12.05.1980 552017 to 569469

Middle of UK, North West England, between Chester and Liverpool, I hunt Reds in Scotland and Boar in Germany, a few populations of Boar in UK now, Scotland, Forest of Dean, Dorset and a few in Cheshire

7. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    If you're around the forum for a while you'll see reference to this set of numbers now and then. If you'll notice at the bottom of the page there is a disclaimer which says something to the effect of "these dates are indicative". That particular set of figures and models is only very approximate and is full of inaccurate information. Take all of the information there with a grain of salt since it is only an approximation, is very incomplete, and what information is there is partially in error.

For whatever reason, Sako's records for a period beginning in the late 70's and going for a decade or more are apparently lost and even the factory doesn't have access to them. This may be due to changes in ownership of Sako (about this time it was sold to a conglomerate which also owned Nokia telephones and electronics, then to yet another holding company before being purchased by Beretta.) But for whatever reason, the only records which exist during this period are those pieced together by whoever it was who made the table you refer to. This is not a criticism of their effort, just a recognition that it is pieced together from imprecise sources and perhaps even the recollections of retired employees.

I personally think that it would be better if Sako deleted this page from their website. People see it and, thinking it's gospel, come to believe something about a rifle or a model which isn't accurate. The aggregation of knowledge here on the SCC forum from hundreds of individuals around the globe who have had an opportunity see and own thousands of Sakos provide a better and more accurate frame of reference than does a chart full of approximations and assumptions.

8. dhv

dhv Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Welcome mate.

Amongst other things, I am National President of the Australian Deer Association (austdeer.asn.au).

Feel free to drop me a line to compare notes.

David.