• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

New Member in So. California

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

BruceHB

I'm updating two Sako Forrester rifles that were my fathers, an L579 originally in 243 Winchester Magnum which he changed to a 243 Ackley Improved with a 24" Shilen barrel with a 1 in 10 twist rate. The other is a Sako Forrester L46 in 222 Remington Magnum.

The guns have sat in my safe for decades and I found 50 handloads with H4350 shooting 75 grain Sierra hollow points. After cleaning the rifle I took it to the range and shooting off a rest I was presently surprised to see the gun was shooting groups in the .4 MOA range at 100 yards. Not knowing the condition of the barrel and not wanting to fire form cases with the 243 AI which already has a short barrel life, I've sent the rifle to Blue Mountain Precision, a top ranked gunsmith active in PRS competition to be fitted with a 26" Hawk Hill match barrel with a 1 in 7.5 twist rate chambered for 6mm Creedmoor that shoots high BC bullets and quality brass from Lapua and others. The rifle is glassed bedded with Devcon and is fitted with an older Canjar set trigger which is adjusted down to 2 ounces when set. I will be working up handloads starting with Berger bullets with full case preparation not limited to neck turning and brass annealing.

The other Sako, an L46 is more challenging as I was originally thinking of chambering it is the new Hornady 6mm ARC but determined the cartridges would not fit in the magazine and have decided to simply look around for 222 Remington Magnum brass and simply load for it.

While I'm looking forward to seeing what the L579 will do after the new barrel I am managing my expectations that it will not shoot as well as my decided PRS gun, a 6mm GT in a MPA Matrix chassis, Bartlein 26" match barrel with a 1 in 7.5 twist rate, Impact 737r action, APA Gen 3 Fat Bastard muzzle brake, Trigger Tech Diamond trigger, Spuhr mount and Nightforce ATACR 7-35 x 56 F1 optic and Horus Tremor 3 MIL reticle. This gun shoots in the .05 MOA range at 100 yards off a rest. Still, I'm hoping I can get the rebarrelled L579 with handloads to group in the .2 MOA or better range.

There is no such thing as a 243 Winchester Magnum & the L46 is not called a Forester and Forester doesn't have two R's. Other than that it sounds like you have quite an ambitious project underway. Let us know how things turn out.

Latest posts

Back