1. JaredBT

JaredBT Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Hi all, new member here from SoCal... waiting to pickup a new rifle... its a custom built gun. Sako A2 action with a Douglas barrel chambered in .308. Its got less than a box down the pipe. Curious about the action, Ill no more when I pick it up. McMillan stock. Curious what its worth.

Respectfully,

Jared.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Custom guns are nearly impossible to figure as far as "market" value, but nearly always sell for far less than they cost to build. They are also harder to sell. Condition, caliber, wood figure, phase of the moon, what side of the bed you got out on, etc, etc, all affect value, not to mention personal taste. So, it is impossible for anyone to appraise your rifle sight unseen over the internet. It's value, whatever that may be, is purely utilitarian, as it has no collector interest. BTW, if you just bought it would seem to me that you just establish it's market value, at least as far as you & the seller are concerned. The AII (which I'm assuming you mean by A2) is the same action as the L579 except it has a rear bolt shroud. Peruse the section on Sako medium actions to learn more. Pictures always help!!

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The action of your rifle is as good as it gets in any bolt rifle -- strong, smooth, all-steel, relatively light in weight, and with an excellent trigger.

I've purchased several custom rifles built on Sako actions, and if the custom work is good they are always a huge bargain since, as Paulson says, they never sell for as much as the cost of the custom work that the original owner put into them. Customs on Sako actions typically bring somewhat more money than one on a Remington 700 or a Zastava Mauser (two other actions popular for custom rifles) because of the higher regard for the Sako actions.

4. JaredBT

JaredBT Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    My buddy owns a shop and he got this rifle from a military buddy of his. He was shipping out and didn't want the baggage. My buddy knows I'm into l9ng range stuff so he gave it to me for cheap. The gun was built by a reputable Smith here in So Cal, the build cost was $4000. Its got less than 20 round thru it. I can't wait to get loading for it.