Sako New member! have older sako, what is it?

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Sean Bateman, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Sean Bateman

Sean Bateman Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    I have had a sako for roughly 25 yrs now and am unsure of the exact model can anyone shed some light on what i have? Its marked: A (roman numeral 3) 565008 (fishfaced crown guy) (rv). Its a 300 win mag has lovely wood and some leaf engraving on the trigger guard and a two horned deer/antelope on the hinged magazine floor plate (non detachable). Any help would be appreciated.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    You have an AIII Deluxe. It was made between approximately 1978 & 1982. The stampings are the Finnish proof mark & the inspectors initials. Peruse the forum section on Long Action Sakos for more details.

3. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    If it does have a rosewood pistol grip cap and fore end cap it is a true Deluxe model. Otherwise it could be a Deluxe model steel in a standard sporter stock.

4. Sean Bateman

Sean Bateman Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    Thank you gentlemen, it does have a rosewood cap and fore end as well. Thanks for the info, makes the rifle and me roughly the same age;)

5. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    BTW, the nickname some use for the stylized animal head engraving on the floor plate is the "Sakolope". The wood is European, probably French, walnut & the checkering type is "skip line".

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    And I might add that the wood on many of the Deluxe A-III's was quite beautiful and typically more figured than that of earlier Sako Deluxe models. The stocks also had a higher comb making for better eye alignment with a mounted scope.