• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

New member from Alabama

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

lbattles

Hi I'm new to the Sako world and looking for information about my l579. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Lee

Attachments

• 20181110_094001.jpg
    20181110_094001.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20181110_093934.jpg
    20181110_093934.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 10
It appears you have a custom stocked rifle with a Sako L579 action. Pics don't tell us more than that because we can't see any of the action or barrel stampings, but it is definitely not a factory stock. If it is a factory barrel the caliber & the name SAKO will be stamped on top of the barrel just forward of the action. Peruse the forum for pics of what a factory stock & barrel stampings look like. Very pretty custom stock!! Thanks for sharing.

Nice stock. Beautiful grain on that wood, and done in a classic, understated style. Looks like it has the late style bolt shroud, making it an early AII before they changed the stamp from L579 to AII. Or a late L579 with an AII bolt shroud. Or the custom builder put an A-series shroud on it. Some of the guys who keep track of such things can probably pin it down better than I can. Also, it has original Sako high rings. You can tell they are the high rings by the hole between the scope and the dovetail mount.

Nice stock. Beautiful grain on that wood, and done in a classic, understated style. Looks like it has the late style bolt shroud, making it an early AII before they changed the stamp from L579 to AII. Or a late L579 with an AII bolt shroud. Or the custom builder put an A-series shroud on it. Some of the guys who keep track of such things can probably pin it down better than I can. Also, it has original Sako high rings. You can tell they are the high rings by the hole between the scope and the dovetail mount.

Thank you for the info. This forum is great I'm glad I joined so I can become more familiar with the Sako name.

With it being a custom rifle I understand it brings the value down but can anybody give me a general idea about what it could be worth?

Custom rifles are hard to place value on as finding comps is very difficult. Most customs built on Sako actions will sell for less than a factory original in like condition, but an exceptional custom may bring more. It really boils down to what the willing buyer & the willing seller agree to. Any "value" you are given will be purely opinion & may or may not reflect it's real world market value. A buyer who falls in love with some feature may be willing to pay more than someone just looking for a nice hunting rifle. The action alone would be around $500. The ringmounts are easily $100. The value the stock & barrel add is the big variable. Most of the time they don't add all that much. Your best bet to find it's "value" is to put it up for auction & let the buyers decide. The poor stock fit (wood partially covering the action stampings) will not be helpful. Speaking from personal experience, custom guns NEVER bring what it cost to build them.

Custom rifles are hard to place value on as finding comps is very difficult. Most customs built on Sako actions will sell for less than a factory original in like condition, but an exceptional custom may bring more. It really boils down to what the willing buyer & the willing seller agree to. Any "value" you are given will be purely opinion & may or may not reflect it's real world market value. A buyer who falls in love with some feature may be willing to pay more than someone just looking for a nice hunting rifle. The action alone would be around $500. The ringmounts are easily $100. The value the stock & barrel add is the big variable. Most of the time they don't add all that much. Your best bet to find it's "value" is to put it up for auction & let the buyers decide. The poor stock fit (wood partially covering the action stampings) will not be helpful. Speaking from personal experience, custom guns NEVER bring what it cost to build them.

Thank you. I bought about 10 rifles from an estate here in Alabama and it had a couple of Sako rifles and a Beretta rifle that if I'm correct has a Sako action on it. I have the rifle listed on a local group but I dont think to many people are familiar with Sako and that goes for me. Love the info I'm getting back.

Latest posts

Back