New Member Florida US

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by christopher allan, Jun 6, 2018.

1. christopher allan

christopher allan Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Enjoy other forums and would like to learn about care and maintenance of sako rifles. I just purchased two like new 1989 rifles...do not even know what models but they have hooded front sights and 23' barrels. One is AII with 579 action in .308 with 20x Nikon. Second is AI 461 with 2x8 leupold.

wood appears little dry..what is the best way to treat it

thanks

Attached Files:

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Your medium action .308 is a Deluxe model. It is either a L579 or an AII, the only difference being the AII has a bolt shroud. From the pics, I think I see a shroud on yours. The short action is either a L461 or an AI (same bolt shroud difference) & with a standard stock. Your looks like an AI. Can't tell from the pics if it is a Varmint or Sporter. The actions will be stamped on the left side denoting what you have. Peruse the forum sections on the short & medium action Sakos to learn about your rifles. Curious how you know they are from 1989. Unless you have a hang tag or other factory documentation it is nearly impossible to accurately date a Sako.

3. christopher allan

christopher allan Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I checked the serial numbers online and the range for both the AI and AII showed 1989 manufacture ..will check for name of site but it had the models down one column, the serial ranges, then the dates of those ranges
    but, could check with sako and pay the fee, no objection to that

thanks for the info. seller said they were purchased in Germany in 1991 and brought to states in 1994.

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Sako did not produce rifles in sequential order with the serial numbers, so using the "on line chart" is not reliable. We have factory records documenting Sakos with serial numbers right next to each other being made years apart & ones that are thousands of numbers apart being made on the same day. The chart you reference can only be used for an "approximation" at best. I would guess it's born on date closer to it's sold date of 1991 than 1989. Most retail stores don't sit on rifles for two + years, but that's just a guess, as it always is with a Sako without papers. Unfortunately, the Factory Records we have don't cover the AI or AII production period. We do know that production ceased for both models in 1992.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  5. christopher allan

christopher allan Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    just thought to send you some pics of the 461
    the rifles are marked AI and AII, both have the hooded sights
    The AI has a Leupold M8 6x42
    enjoying the site and appreciate your comments
    thanks