New member, first Sako

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by MikeNT, Jul 1, 2020.

1. MikeNT

MikeNT Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Northern Territory
    Hi Guys,
    My name is Mike and I live in Australia's Northern Territory. I just purchased my first ever Sako from a local gunsmith.
    I found this forum when I was looking for information about the gun he had for sale. The gun is a Sako Aii with a heavy barrel and a factory box magazine serial #346 5xx. It appears to be all original except for the bolt handle which has been re blued and the stock oil treated.
    If anyone has more information about this gun I would be glad to hear it.

I have yet to install the scope rings and scope as I just picked it up today.
    I will get it setup and see how it shoots later in the week.

Regards, Mike

Attached Files:

susanna and Sean Hodges like this.

2. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    G’day Mike, you’ve picked up a nice variant of the Sako AII H/B being that it has the earlier style ‘Varmint’ stock. A nice addition to the rifle is the extended factory detachable magazine, these are scarce in most parts.

It looks like your rifle may have originally come via the UK. The proof marks on top of the barrel look like English proof marks to me.

Cheers

3. MikeNT

MikeNT Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Northern Territory
    Thanks for the reply and the information Deersako. Sorry for being slow to reply myself, been a bit busy.
    Nice to hear that the stock is an original, I have not seen one like it before. Cant wait to set it up and give it a go this weekend

Mike