New member, but, has lurked on site in the past.

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by ARKLITE881South, Jun 24, 2020.

1. ARKLITE881South

ARKLITE881South Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    I'm a new guy but have lurked around here off and on, been registered for some time though. I've got 3 sako's on is a A2 the other 2 are L579 Forresters in .243 cal. Just had a guy put a new barrel on the A2, it was a 260 but, the barrel was bad. Now its a 260 Ackley improved. The scope rings are obviously shorts in height. I have been looking for a set of mediums so i can mount a scope on it and get it dialed in. The A2 has the dove tail mount with the rear tapered dove tail. And every scope i've tried the bell will touch the barrel Can some one please tell me where i might get a set of bases and rings to fit this rifle. thank you for your time.

2. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Leupold has rings that mount to the Sako tapered dovetails. They have a "mount finder" on their site.

ricksengines likes this.
  3. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Right on. And they will fit like a glove without damaging the dovetails.

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The Leupolds come in low, medium, high, & extra-high. All you have to do is order the height needed for bell clearance. Leupold gives the height from top of dovetail to center of scope. If you have a 1" tube subtract 1/2" to get height to bottom of tube. You should be able to set your scope on the rifle & measure what you need.

5. ARKLITE881South

ARKLITE881South Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Hay i want to thank you guys for the great response, this means i'll be able to get my scope mounted and start shooting. I forgot one other sako i have, its built on a 223 action, and has a pretty heavy stainless barrel. None factory stock and it shoots like a lazer. I bet i've shot a 5 yd dump truck load of rock chucks with it over the years. It was my first sako short action, and i doubt i'd ever sell it. Has probably the best trigger i've ever had on a mostly stock rifle. Thanks again

6. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Just make sure you get the Leupold "ringmounts"that clamp directly to the Sako dovetails & not the base/ring combo that is for conventional scope mounting on drilled & tapped receivers.

7. ARKLITE881South

ARKLITE881South Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    will do, thanks again for the help. Much appreciated.