New Member and New Owner

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by BamaGreg, Jun 18, 2020.

1. BamaGreg

BamaGreg Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hi to all, I just today bought my 2nd Sako rifle (My first one was an A-III in 375 H&H that I sold a few years ago). The rifle I bought today is a shooter grade L57 (s/n 81XX) chambered in 308. It has been tinkered with by a gunsmith probably many years ago and has an unusual Mannlicher stock on it. The action has been drilled for Weaver bases and it came with an old Redfield 3-9X Widefield scope on it. I haven't measured it yet but it appears to be a 19-20" barrel. I know it has no collector value but it is a cool old rifle that will be unique in the hunting camp. I'm sure this forum will be fun to hang out on.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The L57 came in a Mannlincher configuration, but without pics we can't tell you if your's is factory or custom. My only recommendation is to remove the Weaver bases, hold them between your index finger & thumb over the nearest trash receptacle & release them. Then get a set of Leupold or Vintage Sako ringmounts that clamp directly to the Sako dovetails. Welcome!

sraaw likes this.
  3. BamaGreg

BamaGreg Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    A11FCA65-F5C4-4DB0-8BE8-2CE44A00F683.jpeg A11FCA65-F5C4-4DB0-8BE8-2CE44A00F683.jpeg

ricksengines likes this.
  4. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Nice marbelled wood in that stock. Never seen a vent rib on a rifle like that. Looks like something that would be on a shotgun.

5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The original Remington 600 came with a plastic full length rib, but you're right, such ribs are rarely seen on rifles.

The stock coloring on Bamagreg's rifle reminds me of flamed birch. Someone obviously put a lot of work into this rifle -- although the builder's taste probably doesn't match that of most others. I second the thought "that it will be unique in the hunting camp"!

6. Furdown

Furdown Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US South Dakota
    I like your new rifle bamagreg. Interesting one of a kind for sure. Does that have original sako barrel

7. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    From just looking at the pics, my guess is the "figure" in that stock was created by the builder & not natural to the wood. I could be wrong & it does give a unique look, but I would like to examine it in person before assuming it is "natural". Stained in tiger stripes are common on custom muzzleloaders & the technique isn't difficult, but having an "artistic" touch helps. The snake pattern in the buttstock surrounded by straight vertical bars with the natural grain going horizontal thru them all would be near impossible to find in natural wood growth. Close up pic would help.

8. blackjack

blackjack Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Yes, Sako People,
    I tend to agree with Marc. Please let us see some very close - up photo's of that gorgeous stock!
    Blackjack

9. BamaGreg

BamaGreg Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    D26FECBA-0EFC-478E-BB1B-CA090AD44315.jpeg D26FECBA-0EFC-478E-BB1B-CA090AD44315.jpeg 6C2C63E1-9F46-44EB-B2BC-8A0C0AE4A368.jpeg AC5FF59B-C2B2-43FA-9EB2-6DBA2B1DBF58.jpeg 4FA5D5FC-DC51-4351-9185-93651D85D1F9.jpeg C40259C3-32FB-4824-9ED7-B5ADF74D5C45.jpeg 34EDBA5A-144D-4334-B831-2DCC0B92FFB5.jpeg 94FD73FA-F87C-4CA0-B24E-F665A3D67B2A.jpeg 7DD954F3-C125-4D07-A84D-5C1922826241.jpeg 51E7D352-1BD3-48E4-9F01-19BD4D1EA6EE.jpeg D26FECBA-0EFC-478E-BB1B-CA090AD44315.jpeg D26FECBA-0EFC-478E-BB1B-CA090AD44315.jpeg

10. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Very unique custom. The Simmons rib is sort of a blast from the past, maybe reminiscent of a 600 series Remington as stonecreek has mentioned. Simmons is still installing ribs on shotguns, perhaps they do other custom work as well. They were very well known for their work on model 12 Winchester shotguns. I have a 20ga model 12 with their rib. Obviously someone spent a good sum putting the package together. Looks like a fun little Mannlicher.

11. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I think Paulson is probably right about the figure in the stock. That sort of figure is quite common in Finnish military rifles, especially the m/39 with its stock of Arctic birch. In the case of the military rifles, the figure is produced by natural variations in the wood's absorption of the finish (a mixture of pine tar, linseed oil, and maybe a couple of other things). I imagine the process could be manipulated, or the stock maker could just give it a shot and see what happens.

Both of these rifles were built by Sako. The one on top bears a Suojeluskunta (Civil Guard) cartouche, the other a Sako gearwheel.
    Stock 1-1.JPG Stock 1-2.JPG Stock 2-1.JPG Stock 2-2.JPG.JPG

12. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thanks for sharing those photos, Bamagreg. Your rifle exhibits some obviously high-quality work.