• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

New M78 .22Mag Value ?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

NateP72

I have a chance to pick up a like new M78 in 22Mag box ,papers ,the whole works. Does anyone have and idea on a fair price? I would appreciated any advise I could get. I don't want the fog in my eyes to cloud my judgement. Actually I don't think that made any sense . Thanks

I would think that full retail on something like this could go as high as 1700.00-2000.00, based on the more common .22lr version probably selling for perhaps 1200.00-1400.00 in the same condition.

I, personally would snap it up for 1200.00-1400.00.

Asking prices can get pretty unreasonable for such items. Selling prices ain't cheap though.

The .22 Magnum is the scarcest of the P-series rifles. This makes the market very "thin", sales infrequent, and thus it is difficult to judge just what the market is on them. What it boils down to is this: Sitting on a pawn shop shelf the rifle is probably worth a couple of hundred dollars more than a Savage or Marlin .22 Magnum due to its obvious higher quality, meaning it might sell for $500 or $600 in that circumstance.

However, placed in front of a few dozen serious "Sako guys" its value is much greater. Just how much greater depends on who's got money in their pocket and a "hole" in their collection. Iwanna has told you the status of his collection and his pocket book. Whether he would be the one guy in the room with the deepest pockets or two other guys would spread more green on the table is a matter of conjecture.

I know this isn't much help, but the bottom line is it is worth whatever it's worth to you. Don't pay more than you can afford, and don't depend on turning it for a profit since it can sometimes be hard to find a knowledgeable buyer for a scarce model.

There's one on GB and it's been there for quite awhile, you can do a search back and see the activity on his auction and what bids he got. I believe the buy it now is around 1650 and his reserve was 1550. I've never seen bids go over 1000 for it, most hover around 7-800, lot of no bids at 750. Not sure if that's a barometer of it's worth. The seller had a 22lr and 22 Hornet also which have already sold. Since he stopped listing it recently my thoughts are that it's probably the same rifle.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=438958979

The highest bid on an auction with a "reserve" is not a good gauge of the market since serious bidders rarely bid on an item if they have no idea whether their bid will actually buy the gun. On the other hand, a "Buy It Now" price which no one opts for means that the BIN price is somewhere above market.

I can see absolutely no reason that a serious seller (or even a casual one) would set a reserve on an auction. Simply set the opening bid at the lowest price the seller is willing to accept and go from there -- that's much more straightforward and productive for both the buyer and seller.

The highest bid on an auction with a "reserve" is not a good gauge of the market since serious bidders rarely bid on an item if they have no idea whether their bid will actually buy the gun. On the other hand, a "Buy It Now" price which no one opts for means that the BIN price is somewhere above market.

I can see absolutely no reason that a serious seller (or even a casual one) would set a reserve on an auction. Simply set the opening bid at the lowest price the seller is willing to accept and go from there -- that's much more straightforward and productive for both the buyer and seller.
Thanks for all the info. That one on GB is the rifle.He went down to iwannas high end & I accepted. The wood is not special but for all intents & purposes its NIB. I just got a royal screwing from the big "C" who will remain nameless. I don't want to get kicked off the forum. Paid good money for a L461 in .222 that they rated excellent in all respects. Their professional photog is worth every penny they pay him.The gun had been used & abused inside & out.I guess I'll see when it gets here.I am sure a lot of guys would thinks that's a lot, but if it shoots like my other two, I'm happy.I'm pretty sure this one won't need to be re-barreled before I can shoot it.

I just got a royal screwing from the big "C" who will remain nameless. I don't want to get kicked off the forum. Paid good money for a L461 in .222 that they rated excellent in all respects. Their professional photog is worth every penny they pay him.The gun had been used & abused inside & out.

If you've purchased a rifle which was misrepresented then you should request that the seller take it back for a full refund. If the seller doesn't want to do that, then you're well within bounds to post photos showing the problems with it here on SCC and name the seller. Most reputable dealers I've dealt with will take a gun back for a full refund (you pay the shipping) regardless of what you don't like about the gun, so long as you return it in the same condition as received.

If you've purchased a rifle which was misrepresented then you should request that the seller take it back for a full refund. If the seller doesn't want to do that, then you're well within bounds to post photos showing the problems with it here on SCC and name the seller. Most reputable dealers I've dealt with will take a gun back for a full refund (you pay the shipping) regardless of what you don't like about the gun, so long as you return it in the same condition as received.
Well, that sounds like a little more detail is in order! By chance I came across a L461 on Cabelos Library,In the pictures the rifle looked like a "Safe Queen" the details stated excellent wood,bore & metal. My brother pulled it up on their web & said he thought it appeared new. I could only find two very small handle marks from enlarging the pics.As soon as i removed it from the wrappings I thought this is the wrong rifle, big surprise! The stock had numerous gouges and had been half-assed refinish which could be removed with a light scratch of a fingernail, brush marks were evident under the forearm. From bright to dull in several places. The "excellent bore" was so fowled with power residue it took dozens of patches, #9 bore cleaner and numerous trips with a brush to get a look a it. The rifling no where near "sharp". Looking at the bolt face there was evidence loads had been over charged & primer burn thru causing etching around the firing pin. My FFL dealer agreed, looking at the bolt. The only thing they got right was the slight amount of blueing lose at the end of the barrel. But not to worry, Cabelos will refund your money, they have a fabulous 3 day money-back guarantee.It will only cost you price of shipping both ways & you FFL charges & call-in to Uncle Sam. About 80 bucks to find out they have no idea how to judge the condition of a firearm.I'll be getting back with them when I clam down.

Well, that sounds like a little more detail is in order! By chance I came across a L461 on Cabelos Library,In the pictures the rifle looked like a "Safe Queen" the details stated excellent wood,bore & metal. My brother pulled it up on their web & said he thought it appeared new. I could only find two very small handle marks from enlarging the pics.As soon as i removed it from the wrappings I thought this is the wrong rifle, big surprise! The stock had numerous gouges and had been half-assed refinish which could be removed with a light scratch of a fingernail, brush marks were evident under the forearm. From bright to dull in several places. The "excellent bore" was so fowled with power residue it took dozens of patches, #9 bore cleaner and numerous trips with a brush to get a look a it. The rifling no where near "sharp". Looking at the bolt face there was evidence loads had been over charged & primer burn thru causing etching around the firing pin. My FFL dealer agreed, looking at the bolt. The only thing they got right was the slight amount of blueing lose at the end of the barrel. But not to worry, Cabelos will refund your money, they have a fabulous 3 day money-back guarantee.It will only cost you price of shipping both ways & you FFL charges & call-in to Uncle Sam. About 80 bucks to find out they have no idea how to judge the condition of a firearm.I'll be getting back with them when I clam down.
I have got to say, I have purchased numerous firearms from GunBroker and never had the first issue with a sale. They actually go out of the way to make sure you know what you are getting.

That's unfortunate, I suppose I would have looked at it as a 80 dollar lesson and sent it back. Those rifles seem to be the ones that constantly yank on your nerves. I've had my share of those but most were as a result of me not doing my due diligence. Cabelas usually gets a premium for their rifles might have been nice to let them continue to own that one.

That's unfortunate, I suppose I would have looked at it as a 80 dollar lesson and sent it back. Those rifles seem to be the ones that constantly yank on your nerves. I've had my share of those but most were as a result of me not doing my due diligence. Cabelas usually gets a premium for their rifles might have been nice to let them continue to own that one.
I was surprised Friday evening (9-26) with a call from a manager at Cabelos. After telling of all the issues I had with the rifle, he asked and received a list of out of pocket cost and said all cost would be refunded. I thanked him and wondered how many people just accepted purchases for what they were and never said a word. They did do the right thing but it never should have happened and I told him so. Live and learn! Signed former Cabelos customer.

I purchased a Sako from the Cabelas of the great northwest . . . over the phone. The clerk told me "no rust on the barrel, it must have been a bad photo on the net." So I gave them my credit card and my FFL. The gun came and sure enough the barrel had rust on the outside. They refunded every penny plus my shipping fees. I did not call or complain, I just shipped it back with a note for a refund.

I purchased a second Sako from Cabelas in Buda Texas. The clerk told me that they would give me 30 days to decide to keep the gun or not. Thats a plus that keeps me coming back.

Most credit card companies will put the heat on a store that will not back their products.

Nothing is more irritating than setting all day at a public auction waiting for a gun or an item that you are interested in . . . or a gun you have purchased at a gun show . . . to find out the next day something is wrong.

Public auctions and gun shows offer a no return policy. I prefer Cabelas over any auction or gun show.

I purchased a Sako from the Cabelas of the great northwest . . . over the phone. The clerk told me "no rust on the barrel, it must have been a bad photo on the net." So I gave them my credit card and my FFL. The gun came and sure enough the barrel had rust on the outside. They refunded every penny plus my shipping fees. I did not call or complain, I just shipped it back with a note for a refund.

I purchased a second Sako from Cabelas in Buda Texas. The clerk told me that they would give me 30 days to decide to keep the gun or not. Thats a plus that keeps me coming back.

Most credit card companies will put the heat on a store that will not back their products.

Nothing is more irritating than setting all day at a public auction waiting for a gun or an item that you are interested in . . . or a gun you have purchased at a gun show . . . to find out the next day something is wrong.

Public auctions and gun shows offer a no return policy. I prefer Cabelas over any auction or gun show.
It's great to get other peoples view of a bad situation. This has actually turned positive. This forum made that possible and I appreciate everyones input. Also not being big into forums I now know how a question about one subject can go in a total different direction. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

It's great to get other peoples view of a bad situation. This has actually turned positive. This forum made that possible and I appreciate everyones input. Also not being big into forums I now know how a question about one subject can go in a total different direction. Thanks everyone for the feedback.
PS: iwanna, I will post pics as soon as I figure out how !

Hello foks, im new to this forum, ive had a finnbear 3006 that has been my primary hunting rifle. I became interested in finding a forester, and was gonna take a ratted out, garage customized one from gunlist. I didnt feel comfortable with the deal and backed out. Found a L57 in 243 at the fort worth Cabelas. They sent it to the store near me, and I purchased it a few weeks ago. The pictures of the outside did not do the rifle justice. There is a lot more character in the stock wood than could be seen in photos. When I looked at the barrel my heart sank, it first appeared in poor shape, but a couple hours of work with hoppes, sweets 762, and what seemed like a thousand patches, its in excellent shape. This is my first purchase like this.

I probably shouldn't get in on this but Nate P72's experience is pretty much typical. You have to be careful, real careful, as Cabalas prices are always on the high side. They have an L46 listed in their library at $1100 that isn't worth much more than half that much. Lots of corrosion on the optic mounts and fasteners. Winchester 88's and 100's also priced above what can found at the on-line sites for like condition. Optics can overpriced as well. It's not where one wants to be to make an impulse buy IMO.

What drives me nuts on Cabela's is their listing of guns that were sold months ago. Getting someone to call you back can be a challenge also.

Latest posts

Back