New hunter and member from Norway

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Robert Coupe, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Robert Coupe

Robert Coupe Member

Country Flag:
    Norway
    State/Region:
    NO Hedmark
    Hi boys and gals!
    So I've been more on this forum than anything else the last few days and thought I'd best just register since I'm in here all day.
    I'm in the process of buying my first hunting rifle, a used Sako L61R Finnbear (it seems).
    And I've spent a lot of time in here to try to learn about this infamous brand and how they allegedly manufacture the best firing arms in the world.
    That being said, I would like some help to figure out a few things. One of the, how to read markings on the stock in relation to serial number etched in the barrel. This might be best to post in a separate thread..?

I live on a farm in the south east of Norway and I'm preparing to hunt moose and deer this fall. In addition we do have a ongoing invasion of wild boar, so that it also something I'll engage in.
    I'm 38, mechanic and self proclaimed handyman with two children.

received_347821126193616.jpeg received_10154573488235189.jpeg received_895959014073229.jpeg

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Welcome Robert. Your home is in a beautiful place. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I am a little confused by your reference to the serial number being stamped on the barrel. The earlier long action Sako High Power from the 1950's built on the FN Mauser action had the serial number on the barrel, but the Sako L61R had the serial number stamped on the receiver. I'm not aware of any markings on the stock that you are referring to.

3. Robert Coupe

Robert Coupe Member

Country Flag:
    Norway
    State/Region:
    NO Hedmark
    Thanks
    We did get the best of two worlds with this piece of land.

I apologize for my ignorance. I do of course mean that the serial is stamped on the receiver.

I read somewhere on the forum that there will be a three digit number on the stock, which should match up with the three last digits of the serial on the receiver. This serves the purpose of confirmation that the rifle is in factory/unmodified condition.

I'll post photos of the rifle I'm talking about.
    Furthermore, should one be concerned about buying a modified rifle?

I am fairly certain that it was manufactured between 84 and 89, unless I'm mistaken and it is a model M658.
    According to the Sako old models numbering the serial numbers on these two models apparently overlap. It could even be a M690 prototype, but I'm guessing based solely on serial numbers.
    I don't have any knowledge about telling one model from another designwise so I'm hoping someone can fill in the blanks (no pun intended)

I'm also surprised how much fun it is learning about guns and their history. I'm really enjoying this research.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] View attachment SakoOldmodelsNumbering.pdf

Sent fra min Mi A3 via Tapatalk

Tore Greiner Eggan likes this.
  4. northernlights

northernlights Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    Welcome to the SCC Forum. Thanks for sharing your photos.

Another member in Norway. It's a good day!

5. Bernie’s Dad

Bernie’s Dad Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    Your serial number’s last 3 digits don’t match the numbers in the barrel channel. Does that mean the stock isn’t original?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Robert Coupe

Robert Coupe Member

Country Flag:
    Norway
    State/Region:
    NO Hedmark
    I think so, but I don't know.
    Was hoping someone could tell me what's what

7. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Robert, your rifle is a Model AV, which is clearly stamped on the left side of the receiver. It's the same as the L61R with the addition of a rear bolt shroud & a slightly longer rear tang. Sako referred to the Model AIII's & the AV's internally as L61R's, which can confuse things. Sakos are usually referred to by what is stamped on the receiver. The M658 is a Tikka rifle made about the same time as your AV, but it has no similarities. The "prototype" you are referring to is the L61R M90, which is nothing more than an AV with a Tikka trigger & the addition of a rear stock crossbolt. It was introduced in 1990 & ended with the introduction of the Model L691 in 1992. The numbers in the barrel channel have no relation with the stock being "original" to that rifle, as every stock made at the Sako factory is "original" & completely interchangeable. They are merely production stampings that have meaning only to Sako. The "digits" you are thinking about are probably the ones hand etched on the bottom of the bolt handle that will match the last few digits of your serial number. Those were etched after the chamber was reamed to the proper headspace specification to insure the bolt & receiver stayed with each other throughout the rest of the rifle's production. The style of stock, it's finish, & the recoil pad would correspond to an AV from the second half of the 1980's, as would your serial number. So, there is no reason to suspect your stock was replaced. The "serial numbering chart" you are referencing is just a rough guideline for when Sako made certain changes & should not be used to judge when a particular rifle was made or what features it "should" have. At the bottom of each page it says "dates are only indicative". Take that as they are guessing. Sako did not make rifles in sequential order with the serial numbers, so using them to identify or date a Sako is a fool's errand.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  8. Tomball

Tomball Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I have an AV338 mag that I bought new and the numbers in barrel channel do not match serial number of barrel. Just checked another AV and same on second rifle. I have several new in the box spare stocks with numbers that was never attached to a rifle. Based on this, I would not try to correlate these numbers. I do not know what the stamped numbers in the channel signifies but seems numbers began may have begun with A series.

9. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Exactly what Paulson said. Your A-V is an excellent hunting rifle which you'll enjoy owning and shooting. Don't worry about the number stamped in the barrel channel of the stock -- it is completely independent of the barreled action and was only used to keep track of the various lots of wood or the production line from which it came or some similar internal record keeping task such as those.

10. Robert Coupe

Robert Coupe Member

Country Flag:
    Norway
    State/Region:
    NO Hedmark
    Thanks to everyone for bringing me up to speed.
    I'm really looking forward to try her out at the range. I read a review of the Sako super hammerhead, and think I'll give them a go.
    If any of you other 30-06 owners have ammunition recommendations, I'll gladly accept.

Received the papers for my shotgun today, but that is of a brand not suited for this forum

Btw is there any S20 owners here?