Sako New Here from Texas

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Rolando, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Rolando

Rolando Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I just acquired my first Sako rifle no to long ago. Not sure what it is, but I love it. Model says AV. Any info appreciated.

Attached Files:

Ian H and Charles Witt like this.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    You have a Deluxe version of the AV. The solid red recoil pad & the rounded forearm tip puts it's production date in the late 80's/early 90's. IMHO, that era of Sako produced some of the most aesthetically pleasing rifles they made. The AV was Sako's long action & is nothing more than a L61R action with a rear bolt shroud added & a 1/4" longer rear tang. Peruse the forum section an Sako Long Actions for more detail. What caliber??

3. 16b410

16b410 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Very nice rifle. Quality piece that in all likelihood will be very accurate. I loved the rounded fore end much more than the older L61, but didn't care too much for the exaggerated Monte Carlo / Cheek piece of the AV. I much preferred the solid red pad to the ventilated pad of the L-61 as well as the addition of the bolt shroud. To each his own, and either way you get a great rifle. Congrats on your find and let us know how she shoots.

4. Rolando

Rolando Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thank you for the info. It is a 25-06.

5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    A Sako .25-06 in any configuration is currently in high demand, but the Deluxe version is in the highest demand and will bring a premium over most other calibers. Congratulations on your find!

6. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Almost makes me regret passing on an A-series .25-06 Mannlicher carbine at a show last year. The price was right at around $800, but it had some condition issues and would have required some restoration. I've got too many projects already, so I passed.

7. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Indiana Jones was told to "choose wisely"........but I seem to only be able to buy luckily.

So my only long action Sako is a 25-06.......about a twin to the one pictured by the OP. A nice rifle BTW!!

8. Coleman Cowboy

Coleman Cowboy Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Welcome Rolando!

While nowhere as pretty as yours, I've had an AV in .25-06 since the 80s...and a finer Texas whitetail rig you're not likely to find.

Best of luck with yours!

Mark