New Florida Gun Laws

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Rocky, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Was wondering what you Floridians think about your new gun laws?

The three day waiting period, does this apply to private sales, or commercial sales only?

The Dems. in Congress sure seam to be happy. They have a feeling that new gun laws are on the way.

2. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Since we have been talking about gun registration in OZ, I guess we can comment on your question. Frankly, I have not found out how the waiting period applies beyond commercial sales. It will sure screw up Gun Show sales, that's for sure. I also don't know how any of this plays out for CTC license holders.

Scotts signing this was a very unbalanced approach. There are many people that failed to do their job that resulted in this tragedy and they are still employed, not being prosecuted or sued and they should be. But when we have a justice system that enforces the rule of law for some and not for others what do you expect?

rick

3. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    OK so I am trying to read the actual law. The thing is 105 pages long. So far the thing actually deals with the problems that were identified with the recent tragedy. It addresses, preventing mentally ill people from getting access to firearms, gives the authorities the right take their firearms and ammo and put them into a program for mental evaluation and treatment, the 3-day waiting period (CTC Holders are exempt), training teachers in firearm safety, active shooter scenarios and lethal engagement of active shooters, eliminating the threat from bump stocks, and a lot of other applicable things. I didn't really see anything that got my blood boiling but as I said earlier I wish it had language that addressed the people that didn't do their job. Scott was quick to sign this but he didn't remove the sheriff, school principle, administrators, teachers and others that knew and did nothing, police that stayed outside and did nothing. This wasn't my idea of a balanced approach and until the people that did nothing or looked the other way are brought to justice and punished I won't be a happy camper.

4. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Alright, I have a stupid question. What is a CTC Holder?

5. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    CTC stands for concealed to carry. Therefore if you have a license to carry a concealed weapon you are a CTC Holder. In Florida, CTC license holders do not have to wait to take possession of a pistol when purchased at a gun shop or gun show and that exemption has been extended to rifles under the new regulations. In addition CTC license holders frequently buy and sell firearms from one another. These transactions are sometimes called Friend to Friend transactions. During such a transaction both parties produce their driver's license and CTC license. Info is checked to verify that the parties documentation is good and the transaction is completed knowing that the backgrounds of both parties have been checked and licenses issued.
    rick

6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Does Florida have any restrictions on transfers (sales, gifts, or otherwise) between individuals who do not hold a CTC?

7. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    As far as I know Florida residents can do private firearms transactions without restrictions. A CTC is not required and these are called Friend to Friend sales. Most of the time however, gun people insist on CTC to CTC type of transfers. That adds a dimension of security to the deal knowing that both parties have passed the rigorous background investigation process that is conducted before a CTC license is issued. I don't know if any of this has changed with the new law as I haven't read that far yet.
    rick

8. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    The Universal Background Check that the anti gun lobby is trying to get past would not be good for the private gun owner.

If this passed you would not be able to sell a gun privately without going through an FFL dealer.

I could see that day that I might get a table at a gun show for selling my guns. This law would put a big crimp on that idea.

9. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Since it was disclosed that BATF is maintaining a database of all gun transactions that run through the NICS they have started building a national gun registration system that is contrary to law. The Universal Registration Proposal is being touted to close the private sale loophole. In reality is feeds the national registration system. Just one more step to a mandate that requires registration of all firearms in private hands.
    rick

10. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    I don't ever see a national registration system taking place.

11. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    It is already happening. Albeit one gun at a time. Also, the US never got rid of the UN Arm Treaty. If the Dems take over you can bet it will get ratified and it trumps the 2nd Amendment.
    rick