new brass for the 7x33 in an unusual way

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Russell Dooley, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Russell Dooley

Russell Dooley Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    In my research for brass for the 7x33 I got ahold of Starline Brass and talked to the head tech and I ran my question past him about the need for stretched 9mm parabellum cases to form 7x33 cases.. He proceeded to go thru his case dimensions and found the 350 Legend case... It fits perfectly....It allows you to use any .223 bolt face rifle,, and form the rest of the case perfectly to length and diameter so any new rifle build can be built this way and have an economical source of brass for their build.. I hope this doesn't get me in hot water with Sako

Norway.375 likes this.

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thanks for this information! I looked up the dimension specifications for the .350 Legend and found that it very well should be an excellent candidate to convert to 7x33 Sako.

The rim of the .350 Legend is slightly smaller than the 7x33 at .375" vs. .390", but the slightly smaller rim should be gripped by the extractor adequately. Since it is a slightly rebated rim the head diameter just ahead of the rim is speced at .390", which is just about a perfect fit for the 7x33 chamber. The case is 1.71" or 43mm long, so it will have to be trimmed back by about 10mm or about .39".

Now, anybody got an actual 7x33 FL sizer?

Norway.375 likes this.
  3. Russell Dooley

Russell Dooley Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    and that (new die set is in the mail as we speak!) how we roll!! Now there is a gentleman in San Diego that makes 85gr 7mm bullets for the 7x33 his name is Steve Schroder and he sells them for 48 per 100. + 7.90 to ship. and he also converts 30-30 Winchester cases into 7x33 cases for I believe he said 1.50 a case. his phone number is 619-423-3523
    his address is 1421 thermal ave San Diego 92154... I hope this helps..

Norway.375 likes this.
  4. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    No kidding!

We've been searching for bullets and brass for the 7x33 on this forum for years and have come up with virtually zero. There has been a custom brass maker promise to make them but never came through. I sent several sample factory bullets to a custom bullet maker who promised to duplicate them, but again, nothing.

Please invite Mr. Schroder to post here on the forum about his brass and bullets and I'm sure he'll get some orders.

5. Russell Dooley

Russell Dooley Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    Ok will do!!

6. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana

Steve is the guy I found to make both brass and bullets. It seems the Sako Collectors site convinced him to invest in the equipment to make the brass and bullets, and committed to buy it from him. Then another source was found and no one bought anything from him, leaving him with the investment and no promise of return.

I had him make 150 brass and 300 bullets, and didn’t tell anybody in case he wasn’t too happy about what the Sako Collectors had done to him in the past. I’m sure he will make more if anyone needs it, but I wasn’t going to take any chances of him not filling my order if he knew I had anything to do wit Sako Collectors...

7. Russell Dooley

Russell Dooley Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    I acn see where that could be a rub... but during my nearly 1/2 hour long conversation with him nothing ever came up about any of this so this is news to me... he is really a great nice guy,, I am definitely gonna buy all of my bullets from him and not buy from Australia..

8. Russell Dooley

Russell Dooley Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    ohh as a note about the bullets he said that they are caliber correct at .285+ for the original Sako Rifles out there.

9. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I don't recall ever seeing any offer of brass or bullets here on the site, only speculation about who might make some. I typically look at the site a couple of times per day, so if I missed it then presumably a lot of other 7x33 shooters did, too. Mr. Schroder needs to let us know what he has available.

10. Unclekax

Unclekax Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Conversations like this one are one of the reasons I so much enjoy being a reader of this forum!
    I know my ability to contribute is very limited however, the efforts of others are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks to you all!
    Kax

susanna likes this.
  11. pow

pow Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    I seem to remember those posts also. An easy way to check, is to find out his contact name on this forum. And do a search on his posts.

12. bsmith

bsmith Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Like Stone, I didn't see the previous posts either. I have been hoarding my scant supply of Sako 7x33 rounds for the past few years, so now I'm about to place an order for a couple hundred bullets so I can have a little fun shooting this unique rifle.

13. Russell Dooley

Russell Dooley Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    I am so glad that what Info I found was put to good use... and yes the 350 legend case makes beautiful 7x33 brass all you do is trim the case to 35mm in length then re-size in your 7x33 die and voila' one perfect case!! no annealing, just run it thru the die and trim.. I bought 250 cases for 70 bucks from starline .. probably could have gotten then cheaper elsewhere but hey I was on their site. so I found a reamer on Ebay for 99 bucks so now its time for a barrel so my rifle build is coming along quite nicely,, and I am gonna use a walmart special savage axis 223 as the donor rifle that can be had for 250.00 so thats a plus..

Sean Hodges likes this.
  14. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Oh! The dishonor of it! A 7x33 Sako in a SAVAGE action. Truly pearls cast before swine.

It will make an economical way to try the cartridge, though.

15. Russell Dooley

Russell Dooley Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    yeah I know a savage but it fits in my technical expertise range of knowledge and making a L-46 is not not to mention the money diffrence unless somebody know of a good Sako-Tika rifle chambered in .223 that will work for under 500? any Ideas?