Need some input from all of you!

Discussion in 'News' started by L61R, Nov 17, 2014.

1. L61R

L61R SCC President Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    Guys, there are no plans for closing down shop! Rest assured!

Thanks!

Jim

2. 16b410

16b410 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Thank you Jim. I very much like the country and state info on membership. You are doing a great job and the site is the best!

3. David_S

David_S Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    New Zealand
    State/Region:
    other
    Jim, I am logged in but message is still there. Gets a mite irritating after a while. But I do enjoy the site and agree with most of the above comments. The smallness of the site is a virtue - much larger and it could become as impersonal as some of the bigger ones.
    Thanks for your efforts. - David

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  4. kj60

kj60 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    some people like myself do hang around a lot, but post little cos I feel that many people here are the 'experts' to which I can add very little if anything. maybe there are others in the same category? also not very computer savvy so that too makes a difference ........

BUT I sure do love this site!! Thanks all those making it great.

5. David_S

David_S Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    New Zealand
    State/Region:
    other
    I think I have found the problem. The message requests my State/Region Flag and you can only select from a list. Problem is we don't have such a flag (a country of 4 million people only really need 1 flag) and I don't see the Jolly Roger listed, nor for that matter any NZ Province. - David

6. Todo10

Todo10 Forum Tech admin SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    Argentina
    State/Region:
    AU Aboriginal
    Hi David

I've deleted the word Flag for state/region and added another choice named "other". I'll ask Jim if he wants to add NZ states or just leave the "other" choice

7. David Henzler

David Henzler Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    Running a website isn't FUN. It's work... and there are costs. I beat many of them by hosting my own. This requires a STATIC IP and a server. I use Solaris 11.2 on X86 and as it comes from the box (free mind you) it's nearly set up. I use an older quad core 2.6GHz machine with a 320Gb drive. Solaris doesn't require a lot of RAM, so 2GB is plenty. If you want a REAL server, buy one from eBay like a DL380. Nice server and built tough. With 320 Gb of space and of course more is easy enough to get with today's prices I can put a ton of photos up and no body has to find a server to put them on. The photos on this FORUM are not reliable as many people have moved on and so have their photos. Too Bad... they should be here forever.

If you don't have the computer smarts to do this just ask a high school kid to help you. They know Linux and Solaris and Linux are nearly identical except Solaris is what the Web was built on... so let's keep it that way... bulletproof and tough.

Contact me if you need help. I'll help you...

check out one of my domains... http://ccskeet.com

Dave

8. RC20

RC20 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    Generally I think the site is fine and good work. None of this is easy.

The only real critiques I have is that there is not a general Sako discussion area.

I had some data from 1970 that I put in the Values area as it did have what a Sako cost as well as barrels and Barreled Actions. It would go well in the general though it might be better as a sticky to it can be refereed to. I haven't ever seen anyone list prices like I found. The book also had prices for other firearms so there is context there as well (Sako Standard Finnbear about $100 more than other rifles)

I also think there needs to be a bases/rings section. I am still pretty confused on that and what works and fits. I need to get rings and sorting through what scope I will put on the 06 and then what high rings (looking at Leopold). Clearly the optic front drives choices for height, but how it worked out for someone for shooting comfort is needed as well.

I would keep the old SN data in the site as well as secondary reference. Granted its not accurate but for a more normal Sako, it came close enough to tell me that our 270 was almost certainly a 1st year and the 06 I bought was either late first or early 2nd (still waiting the data on that one)

That said the hard data did prove the 270 Finnbear came into the US in normal channels as that has always been a questions as getting it to Alaska and into my folks hands was more likely to have been brought from Europe on an over the Pole flight into AK.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  9. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
  10. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    I don't like that we can't make a comment in the for sale section.