• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Finland Need some Help, please!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

OldCajun

I am tempted to buy a rifle I recently saw at a local gun shop, but I thought I would see what information I might find here beforehand. The rifle is being sold as a "Browning Safari". However, the barrel is marked on one side "Browning Arms Company" and on the other side "Caliber 22-250 only" and beneath that "Made in Finland". That latter marking makes me think Sako was involved. It has a serial number of 6157Z6. Any information that might be offered would be greatly appreciated. The gun looks brand new - no scuffs on the stock, bore is shiny, perfect bluing everywhere.

Hello and welcome
Sounds like a typical Browning Safari model. These rifles were built on Sako actions and Finnish barrels (not sure if they came from Sako)
The barrels had a unique taper in two steps that made for a very light, quick pointing rifle design. Many refer to it as a pencil barrel. A chrome bolt handle is also signature to the Browning Safari. Additionally…the Floorplates are usually engraved nicely.
They were chambered in various popular calibers.
22-250 is a good one have…bloo

Last edited:
Hello and welcome
Sounds like a typical Browning Safari model. These rifles were built on Sako actions and Finnish barrels (not sure if they came from Sako)
The barrels had a unique taper in two steps that made for a very light, quick pointing rifle design. Many refer to it as a pencil barrel. A chrome bolt handle is also signature to the Browning Safari. Additionally…the Floorplates are usually engraved nicely.
They were chambered in various popular calibers.
22-250 is a good one have…bloo
Many thanks!

The big thing with those Browning safari grade rifles is not purchasing a salt wood rifle. Research that serial number for the year it was made. I used to know the serial numbers but forgot all that after getting into sakos exclusively. My experience with the pencil barrels was not good. The medium heavy barrel rifles experience was excellent.

From the limited information I have been able to come up with, this rifle was made in 1966. I had the shop remove the receiver and barrel. All is pristine. It is a pencil barrel.

From the limited information I have been able to come up with, this rifle was made in 1966. I had the shop remove the receiver and barrel. All is pristine. It is a pencil barrel.
Your rifle must have been made just before the salt cured stocks were used. 1967 to about 1972 are the years of concern, with a few late 1966 guns affected. Worst years were 1967 thru 1969 when nearly every rifle was a victim. They continued to show up, but to a lesser degree, until 1972

The big thing with those Browning safari grade rifles is not purchasing a salt wood rifle. Research that serial number for the year it was made. I used to know the serial numbers but forgot all that after getting into sakos exclusively. My experience with the pencil barrels was not good. The medium heavy barrel rifles experience was excellent.
When you say that your experience with the pencil barrels was not good, can you add a bit more clarity to that please?

When you say that your experience with the pencil barrels was not good, can you add a bit more clarity to that please?
I didn't make the comment, but I do have experience with the Browning "pencil barrels".

Any very light contour barrel will heat more quickly than a heavier barrel simply because of the mass of steel -- less mass heats faster than more mass when the same energy (bullet friction and powder heat) are applied. As a barrel heats it may bend very slightly, which is why heavier barrels generally shoot closer to the same point of impact as they heat than lighter barrels.

The Browning pencil barrel isn't designed for varminting, but it will usually put three shots into a nice, tight group. If you shoot promiscuously and rapidly, then accuracy will deteriorate with the pencil barrel more quickly than with a heavier barrel. However, for the hunting purposes it is intended for, it is potentially just as accurate as any -- provided that you sight it in with minimal shots spaced over several minutes so as not to involve barrel heating.

I have had several of the pencil barrels on various rifles. Most recently a Kimber Alpine. I have also had a couple of customs with very skinny barrels. They shoot well. You cannot heat them up too much or they start to spray shots a bit. I shoot 4 shots then let it cool a great deal to get consistent groups. Hope this helps.

Back