• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Need member advice and help!!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

L61R

SCC President
SCC Board Member
Hey guys!

I hope you are all well in spite of the difficult times we have, due to the pandemic.

As you might have noticed, I have been on and off the daily discussions and have been somewhat invisible on the forum due to some chronic health issues over the last couple of years.

But I’m slowly struggling my way back and it is my goal to be much more active from now on, since I really miss all the great discussions and friendly banter and exchange of knowledge.

So, now we want to know your thoughts about the forum in general. To be more specific, in what ways can we improve your experience of our forum?

We started one feature way back and it is long overdue to be finished and it is the prefixes you can add in front of the header to each new thread. We will set them up so you have a few accurate options to choose from in each subforum which will make it easier to search the entire forum. See pic underneath:

14C9CDAE-D801-4AA7-8C5F-7F30F9FC82EB.jpeg

Another idea we have is to merge a few subforums to make the main page easier to navigate.

We also have ideas of setting up personal galleries where members can post pics of their collections, hunting pics and such. A note, when members upload pics to this site, the geotagging in each pic will be deleted. In short, noone can tell when and where the pic was taken. Which helps your anonymity.

We also have an idea of a ”Sakopedia” section on the forum. A section we can fill with Sako history, model timelines with pics and info, an upgraded Deluxe pattern section, a caliber section, a proper model section with pics and info, and much much more. This will require a lot of help from all members and we will be back with more info on these matters.

We do have many many other ideas of other improvements of course, but right now, we are very very interested in all the views, ideas and thoughts you, all the fantastic members might have!

What do you need? What do you want? What can we do to improve your experience?

Please let us know here below and mind you, no thoughts or wishes are stupid!

And it doesn’t matter if you are new, have few or no posts or many, all ideas that can improve our site are welcome!!

I’ll stick this thread on top of the General Section so it will be easy to find.

So, let it rip!:)

Jim

I’ll start with one possible design upgrade since we need to upgrade the forum software and it would be a great chance to modernise the forum.

What do you guys think of this design?

https://sakocollectors.com/xf2test/

In my view, the big blue field will need to be a bit smaller when viewing the forum on a phone.

The pic in the footer will not be there if we change the design and we might add a nice pic of a vintage Sako instead if we can fit it in, in the header and/or the footer.

Please check this design on multiple devices and browsers if you can. It might appear in different ways depending on what you use.

We will only change the site if it is what the members want. We don’t want to do anything just because and without reason.

Let us know your thoughts!!

Jim

Hey guys!

I hope you are all well in spite of the difficult times we have, due to the pandemic.

As you might have noticed, I have been on and off the daily discussions and have been somewhat invisible on the forum due to some chronic health issues over the last couple of years.

But I’m slowly struggling my way back and it is my goal to be much more active from now on, since I really miss all the great discussions and friendly banter and exchange of knowledge.

So, now we want to know your thoughts about the forum in general. To be more specific, in what ways can we improve your experience of our forum?

We started one feature way back and it is long overdue to be finished and it is the prefixes you can add in front of the header to each new thread. We will set them up so you have a few accurate options to choose from in each subforum which will make it easier to search the entire forum. See pic underneath:

View attachment 23072

Another idea we have is to merge a few subforums to make the main page easier to navigate.

We also have ideas of setting up personal galleries where members can post pics of their collections, hunting pics and such. A note, when members upload pics to this site, the geotagging in each pic will be deleted. In short, noone can tell when and where the pic was taken. Which helps your anonymity.

We also have an idea of a ”Sakopedia” section on the forum. A section we can fill with Sako history, model timelines with pics and info, an upgraded Deluxe pattern section, a caliber section, a proper model section with pics and info, and much much more. This will require a lot of help from all members and we will be back with more info on these matters.

We do have many many other ideas of other improvements of course, but right now, we are very very interested in all the views, ideas and thoughts you, all the fantastic members might have!

What do you need? What do you want? What can we do to improve your experience?

Please let us know here below and mind you, no thoughts or wishes are stupid!

And it doesn’t matter if you are new, have few or no posts or many, all ideas that can improve our site are welcome!!

I’ll stick this thread on top of the General Section so it will be easy to find.

Jim
Add a section ( to be named) for misrepresented, improper or falsely advertised Sakos for all to see. A moderator should be the gate keeper for this activity to make it as accurate as possible and ferret out mistakes and personal opinions.

Currently Stone and others will post issues, but rather see a dedicated section. My two cents.

One of my pet peeves is the hijacking of threads - too many times members post things in existing threads that have nothing to do with the subject. Not sure how to solve it. Makes it too hard to locate items others may be interested in.

Initial Thoughts and Cautions:
****CAUTION**** as to a section for misrepresented or erroneously labeled Sako products. Obviously a very helpful issue to avoid any member from purchasing a mislabeled, altered or damaged weapon, however, the potential seller may be doing it innocently, does not know better due to misinformation from an earlier purchase, or just a rat, etc.
However, meritorious or not, this opens the door to potential litigation or liability for defamation, tortious interference with a third party transaction, and/or libel. It opens up exposure to anyone posting or responding to that "allegation" to be a party to a lawsuit and if one of the posting members is from let's say California, then the lawsuit could be filed there and the potential exposure to liability and great expense is unnecessary as well as legal liability exposure to the individuals responsible for the website. Additionally, it would require lots of overview and extreme care in monitoring and removing potential libel or defamation by the individuals heading this SCC website. I hate overemphasis as everyone can read, but please DO NOT DO THIS!!!!

It is my belief that one can have an opinion, albeit erroneous, in stating one feels something is false or mistaken but must be clearly stated as "in my opinion based on what I see, I feel ______", meaning it is merely a preface to ones opinion which is limited to a truthful opinion, right or wrong and not an endorsement of another's erroneous criticism. You cannot cross that line especially in this age of political correctness. So if you have nothing to lose, excess time on your hand and unconcerned about finances, judgements against you or liens on your property(ies) then ignore this caution. Discussion can proceed on a topic basis with opinions expressed as to authenticity, but not dedicate a section as this highlights the intent or an endorsement to the comments. Most people know to choose their words with care in criticisms or personal opinions but discretion is never out of fashion.

Thought on Personal Galleries, the negative potential usage outweighs any benefit to the person posting. The geotagging can be removed but there are so many talented sources or ways to hack or analyze any data what you have may be used to your detriment in a myriad of ways. My opinion is to leave any photos etc as it is by post or category and not on a personal category.

I leave to others, but a notice given that personal attacks are out of bounds on this website and hopefully political pronouncements as well.

I like the remainder of the proposals, as finding past posts and info is difficult at present for the computer/technology challenged like myself.

Thank you very much

Spaher. I do agree with most of your proposed limitations to discussions, but our world is changing fast. One of the problems we face is an era of insidious intrusion on personal freedom of speech and other constitutional rights.
We are seeing many of our freedoms being suppressed by irrational political pressures simply because of what you state. We are being threatened to expose our thoughts unless we are very careful of the wording used. This is wrong.
Suppression of thought leads to tyranny. We are all Sako lovers and we enjoy the freedom to express the joy that we get from different methods of firearm ownership. We must continue to keep that constitutional right. Without political discussion we will lose that right. I give you an example of the first step taken of what has been openly threatened against gun ownership for months now. How would you feel if this were a proposal in your area and we could not intelligently discuss it on a political basis without insults and argument? Respectfully submitted, your friend and fellow Sako lover. Sakojim.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

LIFESTYLE
San Jose to tax gun owners, will confiscate firearms for noncompliance

Spaher: You are certainly correct that comments about any feature of a Sako offered by another party should always be stated as "opinion" for a couple of obvious reasons. One is that it is simply not possible to judge with certainty a gun from only a photo or series of photos. Photos can not only be misleading, but can be manipulated. Another is that, as we often say, "Never say 'never' about Sakos" since we've seen numerous examples of one-offs and unusual but demonstrably genuine factory features over the years among verifiable rifles.

The goal of this forum is to enhance the enjoyment of our members with information they might not otherwise have access to. Discussions about whether this or that feature of a given Sako are "original" or "factory" can be very helpful and informative. Most sellers of Sakos may not be particularly Sako enthusiasts and sometimes make an honest error in representing them -- or pass on misinformation which they took in good faith from whomever they obtained the rifle from. When honest errors are called to their attention they usually appreciate it. Those that don't appreciate it are typically those with which one would prefer not to do business with to begin with.

But one thing certainly stands out about our Sako Collectors Club forum: Malice is rare, and gentlemanly discussion, even when there may be disagreement, is the rule. There have been only a handful of participants who repeatedly became uncivil who were eventually disinvited from this forum. Some of the rest of us are at times guilty of imprecise language which inadvertently ruffles a feather or two, but those instances are almost always soon smoothed over.

Thanks to everyone for their input!

Hey guys!

~snip~

Jim

Hi Jim
Thanks for the heads-up, and I hope your health continues to improve in these difficult times.
I think a Sakopedia section would be a really great idea, a repository of vintage Sako ads, catalogues and memorabilia from the different global markets.
Happy to assist if I can, have a few original L series catalogues plus ads from the various Sako distributors and dealers in Australia over the years. The prices listed make me weep...!

I think making this 'official' information more widely available would help stop some of the more disreputable people passing off Frankensako rifles as rare Sako factory originals.
While it seems Sako factory workers could have special one-off rifles made up (and of course no records exist) a broader awareness of what 99% of models featured in a given L461/L579/L61R standard production run would be worthwhile I think.
For example, standard factory barrel length, a topic much debated.
L461 23.5" 600mm
L579 23" 585mm
L61R 24' 610mm

Example (note squared front sight hoods!)

Sako Catalogue p3-4.jpeg

Last edited:
SakoJim, i agree with you 100% as I was too general in the "political discourse" point and did not mean to include or imply anything to preclude discussions on our constitutional rights related to arms and any regulations that improperly impede this right. I should have distinguished rights that are outside of politics but was merely trying to be brief. We are on the same page.
My regards and respect....

....For example, standard factory barrel length, a topic much debated.
L461 23.5" 600mm
L579 23" 585mm
L61R 24' 610mm

Tilleyman, I love the old FI catalogs from the 50's and 60's. They contain a lot of information about Sakos. Most of the time, the information is dead on, then sometimes it's in the ballpark. For example, they show the L61R with a 24" barrel when in fact the barrel is closer to 24.4" which would be about 620mm. Also, all the L57 mannlichers I've measured have a barrel that is almost 21" instead of the 20" they show in the catalogs.

That particular catalogue dates from about 1973, not sure how often the images got updated in those expensive print runs but you can see the lever style floorplate release vs the plunger.
Sure the info is mostly right... give or take the odd inconsistency or typo, but at least its Sako factory derived.
I'm perplexed, I hadn't looked at that one for years so now I don't know whether to make angled or square sight hoods :confused:

Last edited:
My guess on how often FI and Garcia updated the images was probably every 5 or so years. The transition to the push button release begin in 1967. The earliest rifle in my collection that has the push button release is a Deluxe inspected in January 1968.

The standard barrel length of the L61R was 620mm, not 610mm. Works out to about 24.4 inches. The rare "26"-inch L61R barrels were almost exactly that at 660mm.

Maybe we need a table in the Sako Wikipedia to show what the catalogues show vs real life in different markets?
My ‘three lug’ L61R .270 also measures 620mm vs 610mm in a catalogue of that era.
My AI .222 measures 600mm which aligns with the published specs.
Technical specs from any manufacturer change without notice all the time, but there are also typos to contend with
Note double mention of the Forester HB!
89C75236-B4FB-472E-9A9A-AC86CA6C5C27.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like a typographic mix-up. My best guess would be that the second column should be Vixen Heavy Barrel and the third column should be Forester (i.e. not HB). In any case, I've downloaded the image for reference.

Just a short comment, as many of you know, I have a large collection of catalogues and other promo stuff, http://www.sakoparaphernalia.com and I have noticed that sometimes barrel measurements are varying and I’ve noticed that sometimes they measured the barrel from the front end of the receiver to the end of the barrel.

And sometimes they listed the whole barrel length, including the part which is screwed in to the receiver.

So when reading several catalogues the same model appears to have varying barrel lengths, which of course isn’t true.

So the old caveat emptor sure is real when reading promo material.

Jim

Latest posts

Back