Need ID help-30/06 IV?

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by STEVE FRENCH, Apr 3, 2020.

1. STEVE FRENCH

STEVE FRENCH Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    I'm fairly new to Sako but have a .270 Av and a 7mm Fiberclass. I've been looking at a Sako 30/06 for sale but am having trouble identifying it. The owner says it is a FinnBear? It is Stainless Steel and has a fiberglass Finnlight looking stock. The SS barrel is not fluted. On the barrel it has Stoeger stamped and "IV". Serial # is 975*** It has a detachable magazine. Is it a FinnBear? AV? Any idea of year of manufacture. Thanks for any help. I'm trying to learn more on Sako. I'm slowly becoming an addict....

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    You've described a Sako Model 75-IV. Regrettably, Sako did not put the "Model 75" label anywhere on these rifles. The "IV" refers to an action made for the .270/.30-06 class of cartridges. These were made starting around 1992 or so.

3. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Sound like a Sako 75 Finnlight, Those models are marked with an action length, not a model designation. IV is the correct action length as you’ve described it. Below is a link.
    https://www.sako.fi/rifles/old-models/75-hunter

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  4. STEVE FRENCH

STEVE FRENCH Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Thanks for the replys! That helps. So it's not a FinnBear? It's a FinnLight-correct?

5. STEVE FRENCH

STEVE FRENCH Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    The FinnLights I've looked up all seem to have a SS fluted barrel. This one is not fluted. Still a FinnLight?

6. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Finnbear is synonymous with the earlier L and A series rifles. The 75 and 85 rifles are synonymous to themselves. A Finnlight was/is a Model within the 75 and 85 series. I can’t say 100% if the rifle you’re referring to is an actual Finnlight. I’d need pictures to say for sure, but the description makes it seem so. Some earlier Finnlight 75’s did not have barrel fluting.

7. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  8. STEVE FRENCH

STEVE FRENCH Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Thanks for the replies! Great information and pictures. It is definitely a Finlight 75. ...This is why I joined this forum-lots of knowledge here

Sean Hodges likes this.