• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Need help with trigger ID

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

WIHunter

I have a Sako AV in 30-06 that I purchased used with a green synthetic stock. I have been questing for months/years to find a nice wood stock to put the action in, as that is my preference. I finally found one and when I went to swap it over, the trigger I have does not fit!

The synthetic stock is fully hollowed out, and the trigger mechanism is much larger than what I have on any of my L61R or AV rifles. On the wood stock, there are 2 separate sections, one for the trigger and one for the magazine. Any idea what kind of trigger this is? Is it worth trying to find a smaller form factor trigger, or is there something special about this one? TIA for any insights!

2019-07-06 21.04.53.jpg 2019-07-06 21.05.22.jpg 2019-07-06 21.05.40.jpg 2019-07-06 21.05.53.jpg

Your rifle is the late A-V made after the changeover from the traditional "Sako #4" trigger to what is often called the "Tikka" trigger. The larger trigger frame left no room for the piece of wood to remain between the magazine cut and the trigger cut, so factory wood stocks used a second crossbolt to reinforce that area. The A-V wood stock you have must be from an earlier A-V which used the #4 trigger.

There is no reason you can't cut the little wooden bridge out of your wood stock to allow room for the trigger (most other makes of rifle use no such wood bridge, which doesn't actually add much strength.) The bridge may not have to be completely removed, just trimmed back enough to allow the trigger to clear.

Alternatively, you could replace your trigger with a Sako #4 trigger. You can find those every now and then on eBay or Gunbroker.

Thanks for the replies! That makes perfect sense, and yes, the AV that has the larger trigger has a much higher serial number than my others, but I had never even made the correlation that it might have been a design change. I think I will probably now keep an eye out for a #4 trigger. I'm not as smooth with a dremel/files as the person who wrote up that tutorial. :)

Back