• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Need Help With a P54

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

thurm

Hi All,

I'm having trouble with a new-to-me P54 sporter. I'm getting misfires, and a look at the misfired rounds shows that the pin is striking a bit light. Those misfired rounds lit off no problem on a buddy's Winchester, so it's not the rounds. They're good quality Eleys.

My P54 is also not that good at extracting spent rounds.

The first order of business should be to strip and clean it, but I can't figure out how to remove the bolt! There is no lever I can see, and pushing the trigger forward or backward to free it doesn't work either.

Any knowledgeable soul out there who could pass along some info on this gun? When it shoots it's great! But...

I'd buy a manual, but I've yet to find one.

Thurm

Hold the trigger back while extracting the bolt.
Yep I got it the guy at the range said the same thing, but that didn't do it. I finally decided I needed to take the action out of the stock and see what was going on. When I did that, the bolt slid right out. It turns out that the entire trigger group is hinged on the front and the trigger has to be pulled down and forward to free the bolt. The trick is that it cannot be done with both screws securing the action. I have to partially remove the rear screw in order to get the trigger group to swivel. It appears that tightening down the rear screw secures the trigger group in place so you can't move it. Otherwise I found the rifle a little worn, very dry, and pretty dirty. I'm going to clean it a little bit and then go out and try it again. If that doesn't work I'll be looking for either a firing pin or a spring. The extractors (happily) seemed fine. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Yep I got it the range said the same thing, but that didn't do it. I finally decided I needed to take the action out of the stock and see what was going on. When I did that, the bolt slid right out. It turns out that the entire trigger group is hinged on the front and the trigger has to be pulled down and forward to free the bolt. The trick is that it cannot be done with both screw securing the action. I have to partially remove the rear screw in order to get the trigger group it appears that tightening down the rear screw secures the trigger group in place so you can't move it. Otherwise I found the rifle a little worn very dry, and pretty dirty. I'm going to clean it a little bit and then go out and try it again. If that doesn't work I'll be looking for either a firing pin or a spring. The extractors happily seemed fine. Thanks for the help!

I would soak the bolt in lacquer thinner or similar solvent for a day, then flush it out with an aerosol gun cleaner or compressed air. Lightly oil before installing. 22's can get pretty gunked up & cause both firing pin & extraction issues.

I would soak the bolt in lacquer thinner or similar solvent for a day, then flush it out with an aerosol gun cleaner or compressed air. Lightly oil before installing. 22's can get pretty gunked up & cause both firing pin & extraction issues.

Sounds like a plan, I'll try it out.

Yep I got it the guy at the range said the same thing, but that didn't do it. I finally decided I needed to take the action out of the stock and see what was going on. When I did that, the bolt slid right out. It turns out that the entire trigger group is hinged on the front and the trigger has to be pulled down and forward to free the bolt. The trick is that it cannot be done with both screws securing the action. I have to partially remove the rear screw in order to get the trigger group to swivel. It appears that tightening down the rear screw secures the trigger group in place so you can't move it. Otherwise I found the rifle a little worn, very dry, and pretty dirty. I'm going to clean it a little bit and then go out and try it again. If that doesn't work I'll be looking for either a firing pin or a spring. The extractors (happily) seemed fine. Thanks for the help!

Can you post some pics thurm ?

There’s something not right there.

Hi All, Sorry it's taken so long to answer, I literally had to take an unscheduled trip to sea for a few months just after I wrote last time. The mystery is at least partially solved. The nut which secures the trigger adjustment screw was striking the cover plate the screws go through, and not allowing the trigger to be pushed forward to remove the bolt. My local gun doctor fashioned a spacer that fits between the cover plate and the action, moving the plate a bit downward and allowing the nut to clear as the trigger group swings forward. That took care of the binding bolt.

The light strike was caused by gunk build up in the bolt, and a good clean and lube took care of that. My remaining questions are;

Sure the spacer fixed the problem, but why did it need that spacer? Did the rifle originally have one there?

The bolt movement is not smooth. About half way to full closed and locked, it drags and then clicks; loud enough we thought the bolt was decocking (we blamed the spacer). It wasn't decocking, but we don't know what that sound is coming from! Other than that, it shoots fine now.

You're right dearsako, it may shoot now, but somethings still not right!

Attachments

• 20220408_180623.jpg
    20220408_180623.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220408_180844.jpg
    20220408_180844.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220408_180903.jpg
    20220408_180903.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220408_180520.jpg
    20220408_180520.jpg