Need Help locating a Magazine Spring & Follower for L461

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by Oso Polaris, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Oso Polaris

Oso Polaris Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I just realized that on Friday the trash man carried away a bag of dirty rags and the magazine spring and follower that I had just removed and cleaned from my 222 Rem Magnum. We had a medical emergency that interrupted my process and resulted in a careless mistake after a night at the hospital. I live in a suburb of Houston so going to the landfill isn't an option...or else I would be there at daylight.

I need your help sourcing replacement parts!!!!

2. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    If you can't find an original spring you can use one from a Tikka T3 3rd magazine. No clues about the follower in the US.

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The Zastava Mini Mark X (also sold as Interarms, Charles Daly and Remington 599) is very close in many respects to the L461 and some parts will interchange. If a Tikka spring/follower won't work or you can't find them you might try the Zastava.

Probably any spring/follower which is "close" can be adapted with judicious use of a mill or grinder. There aren't too many real gunsmiths out there these days, but a guy who knows what he's doing can turn these parts out in a short time.

4. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Hey, I just pulled the spring/follower out of a Mini Mark X .223 and tried it in an L461. The spring dimensions are virtually identical. The MMX follower is the right length but just a tiny tad wider. Thirty seconds on a fine wheel should make the MMX work in the L461 like the original. The follower may be just a tiny bit thicker, but whether this might cut your magazine capacity from six to five I'm uncertain.

Here is the follower from Gun Parts Corp: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1208350A but both it and the spring are "out of stock". You might try Remington for parts for their 599.

Midwest has a spring and follower for a Sako S491, which may be identcal to the L461, but I can't tell you for sure since I don't have an S491 to compare. But my bet is that it will either fit or can be made to fit: https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/S5940281

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    topgear likes this.
  5. Oso Polaris

Oso Polaris Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thank you for the input!

My rifle is chambered in .17 Remington, which I believe is based on the .222 Rem Magnum. The ID for my magwell measures 2.295". I'm not sure if there is any difference in length of the Follower or Magwell used for the .222 Rem, .223 Rem, and the .222 Rem Magnum.

I have a favor to ask...can you give me some measurements on the L461 follower.

6. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Your .17 Rem is based on the .223, but regardless, all of the magazine wells on the L461 appear to be identical. My caliper is not accessible right now, but measuring with simply a ruler the two L461 followers I measured appear to be about 2 1/8" (2.125") long.

7. Oso Polaris

Oso Polaris Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thank you for your help. Midwest Gun Works had a replacement L461 Magazine Spring (part S3341515 $22) as well as the L491 Mag Spring & Follower combo ($65).

8. Oso Polaris

Oso Polaris Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Alright - I still need some help on this item. The magazine follower from the L491 is tight (needs some grinding to fit). However, the profile of the follower seems notably different (taller) than the L461. Can someone post a couple of photos of their L461 follower... a front profile and side profile would really help. Thanks

9. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I compared the magazine follower of the 222 Mag and a 223. Here are pictures of the 2 and the dimensions of the 222 Mag f0llower...

DSCN4352.JPG DSCN4353.JPG DSCN4354.JPG DSCN4355.JPG DSCN4356.JPG

10. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Here are the dimensions...

DSCN4357.JPG DSCN4358.JPG DSCN4359.JPG

deergoose likes this.
  11. Oso Polaris

Oso Polaris Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    kirkbridgershooters - Thank you for making the effort to pull and measure the two rifle followers! This is a good bench mark for any grinding, which looks to be only on the width.

12. Shaun Carroll

Shaun Carroll Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Kentucky
    How did the l491 follower work out for you ? Im having same issue finding a l416 follower and spring. Was thinking about buying the l491 as well and grinding it down. How tight of a fit was it ? And how much did u have to shave off

13. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Shaun sent you a PM

14. Oso Polaris

Oso Polaris Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Shaun,

I ended up purchasing a L461 Follower from Marlin92. I see that he has reached out to you to help solve your problem. I'll gladly vouch for him!

15. Shaun Carroll

Shaun Carroll Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Kentucky
    Nice yeah i just seen that he did as well ive searched for a follower for sometime now this is first guy ive known to have one i just hope its not to pricey